HELP! Quails dying 4-6 weeks old ?

Feeding just seeds, they are not getting any of the required amino acids and other vitamins & minerals + micro nutrients that they would get from a balanced and complete feed ration, such as Turkey starter, Gamebird Starter, or even Chicken Starter/Grower!
Most
likely they are starving to death! :(

ETA - Seeds don't have much in the way of micro nutrients, vitamins and minerals. They need protein to build muscle and to be healthy. Seed have little protein as well!

Last edited:
I looked online and we have do have feeds for turkey that I could order online, however there's no proteins percentage indicated and it has an anti-coccidiosis included in it which isn't ideal long term if I eat the eggs. I can switch to that but it isn't a good long term solution?
Isn't there a "feed recipe" that I can just do for them that you'd recommend? I'd much prefer doing it homemade and see what goes into their feed and in the end, into the eggs I am eating.
They do get the complements though as I said, I did add both birds vitamins and also various complements to their feed/ to the water

Wouldn't they feel super skinny if they were starving? They also find insects in their aviary and I feed some extra ones to them often. Also, that wouldn't explain that some were already sick and skinny when they arrived? Unless the breeder was also not feeding them right as we don't have the premades?

EDIT- The vitamins I'm giving them in the water is called Omni Vit, it does have amino acids and minerals (Vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin K3, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, vitamin PP, biotin, choline chloride, D-pantothenic acid, l-lysine, l-threonine, l -tryptophan, DL-methionine)
They also have a bloc of minerals in their aviary, it's a mix of crushed sea shells, calcium sulfate, sodium carbonate, sodium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, anise extracts.

Last edited:
I feed 30% protein turkey feed for the first 4 to 5 weeks and then I move over to a 16% protein chicken layer crumble feed.

Can you get a chicken crumble feed too?

Here in the US the stuff used in turkey feed for coccidiosis isn't a medicine so it is totally fine to eat eggs from birds eating it here.

What you want is a crumbled feed...not whole grains and or seeds.

Feeding this whole grain seed mix gives the birds the option to pick what they want to eat.
They don't get a balanced diet that way.
If they are only eating ONE seed they are going to suffer.

If you bought sick birds you may not be able to fix them...if they were sick for too long sometimes damage isn't reversable.

I looked online and we have feeds for turkey that I could order online, however there's no proteins percentage indicated and it has an anti coccidiosis included in it which isn't ideal long term if I eat the eggs. I can switch to that but it isn't a good long term solution? Isn't there a "feed recipe" that I can just do for them that you'd recommend?
They do get the complements though as I said, I did add both birds vitamins and also complements to their feed and to the water

Wouldn't they feel super skinny if they were starving? They also find insects in their aviary and I feed some extra ones to them often. Also, that wouldn't explain that some were already sick and skinny when they arrived? Unless the breeder was also not feeding them right as we don't have the premades?

EDIT- The vitamins I'm giving them in the water is called Omni Vit, it does have amino acids and minerals
They can be fat and still be malnourished, just like people who don't eat a proper diet.

It sounds like the person you got them from may not have been feeding them properly as well.

The seeds they were getting were already grounded as crumbs. Thanks for your help guys, I will look into new food today.

Meanwhile, anything I can do for this one that has only 1 eye that is red and swollen? It looks worse than yesterday.

IMG_2285.JPG
IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

The other eye look fine and the other quails are ok too so I am going to separate her from others. She also has diarrhea, her stools look bigger than usually and light brown. Maybe it is a respiratory infection? There's no liquid coming out her mouth though. She doesn't run as fast as usually. On french groups i've read I could try giving her amoxicilin?

Thanks!

EDIT- She suddenly is dying.. I think tomorrow she won't be with us anymore.. She was the one developping the fastest and was fine 2 days ago. I know you guys suspect the diet but I really think they have a disease. Two of them had some issue with the eyes before dying.
Can't it be from the soil? The aviary was build on a previous chicken Coop. The previous owner's coop was small, super dirty and unprotected from the rain. The floor was pretty much layers of poops. I cleaned it all up, removed a lot of the higher layers and added new soil on the top of it. I protected it from the rain and waited a few months before adding the quails in.

Last edited:
Update on the quail : On thursday evening, the quail was pretty much dying, laying on her side and struggling to get up. I thought she wouldn't make it over night but gave her a bit of amoxicillin to give it a try as I am still suspecting they came with some sort of virus or bacteria.

The day after, her eye wasn't red anymore but still wet.
Today is day 2 of amoxicillin and she looks much better. But her 3rd eyelid was still a bit out so I inspected her more throughoutly and I found this sort of opened wound under her head !! It is on the same side as the eye issue. I am disinfecting it, but what could it be from ?
There's no predators in there, I only have 3 quails, all females that grew up together and get on well. They have plenty of space and food so I don't think they had a fight. The location of the wound is odd too, isn't it?

Attachments

• IMG_2389.JPG
    IMG_2389.JPG
    548 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2392.JPG
    IMG_2392.JPG
    449.3 KB · Views: 16
Is there any place that a rat could get in from? It looks like a rat bite to me, but it could be from a sharp edge or something that she ran into or scraped on.
No, I double checked yesterday and today, there's no holes anywhere. The aviary has an underground structure all around.
That quail is the one we call "the crazy one" as she always get scared when we enter the aviary. She tends to run into things. Do you think the eye is something else or linked to that? It is on the same side as her injury

Back
Top Bottom