Help quick hurt Update need advise Meatheads 1 week update

The betadine should disinfect it, you can get it at wal mart in first aid. Mine took a couple of weeks but now they have baby feathers growing. She will probley take longer. I also put the vasaline to pervent them from pecking themself, they hate the taste. Good luck, it's so sad.

She is so scared. I changed the water and turned out the lights in the bathroom. She's eating, drinking and pooping. I pulled her out to look and it's just so bad. she has what look like small bones exposed. Cleaning it sounds like it could be excruciating. i tried to run water over it this morning and she tried to get away. So tonight I just need to get some sleep and hope she is still going strong in the morning. It's going to be a long time before she can go outside.

go to the store and get some hibiclens (based on chlorhexidine) and mist that injury or even with sterile saline solution to clean (you can make the sterile saline yourself by boiling 1/4 tsp salt in a quart of water for five minutes and let cool)... You can smear some triple antibiotic creme on it to keep it moist .
ETA: Look for this product described in the link below (it can be found usually in the horse section or you can order it from several online sources ...this is for the long term treatment of the wound)> link below supplier of a difficult to find component described in the veterinary source wound management articles but essentially the same :

http://www.ronsvetsupply.com/granulexv.html
GANULEXV
A "must have" product for advanced wound care. This is an over the counter, veterinary version of a prescription human product that has been used for many years to treat bed sores, deep abrasions and thermal burns. The active ingredient, Trypsin, is an enzyme that digests necrotic (dead) tissue, enabling it to be removed while at the same time, stimulating healthy epithelial cells to develop so that they can cover open or slow healing wounds. Can be used with or without bandaging. Use twice daily, washing debris away between applications. Labeled for use on dogs, cats, horses and cattle. Manufactured by Bertek Pharmaceuticals for Pfizer Animal Health."

Last edited:
She's still alive. I keep her crate clean and her wounds clean. She still has a flap and I don't know if it will fall off or what. But she is strong. Thank you all for the support. I will keep updating you on her progress.

I'm new to the BackYardChickens Forum and have not owned chickens of my own since I was a child (until now
wink.png
) but I was told by someone very knowlegable about chickens that to safely introduce a new chicken to your flock you must wait until nighttime when your flock is asleep and sneak the new chicken in and put her on the roost. In the morning, the flock will not even realize the 'new' chicken was not there before and treat her like one of their own.

I'm so sorry about your hen and I hope she continues to recover.

She's doing well. I just gave her a bath. The wound care is I use on her is a combination of oils and makes her feathers yellow and sticky. She hasn't had a thorough cleaning since the incident. I put her in her carrier on the front porch so she could get some sun. it's all scabbing up. i think that I will order that stuff to keep the dead tissue away. I am also working on a separate house for her. I would also like to find her a friend or 2. but they would need to be smaller or the same size as her. But I will keep her isolated until she no longer has a meat head. I don't want anyone getting the idea they need a snack. Thank you for asking.

Please keep up updated. I am very fortunate in that I have not had to deal with this, yet, but should I have to, there is some very good advise on this thread.

It amazes me how tough some of these chickens are. That she is still hanging in there with the extent of her injuries, amazes me. Her will to live, your aid in getting her wounds clean and keeping her comfortable, and your love is what is probably keeping her going.

I give you a lot of credit for taking such good care of her. You are a great chicken mama! I'm praying for a full recovery for her.

Back
Top Bottom