HELP - quitter exploded, day 20 do I clean the other eggs???

heyjeni

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 5, 2013
We had a broody Buff Orpington and decided to put fertile eggs under her. On day 14 I candled them and was amazed that one of them was actually moving inside. We had 7 to begin with, 5 looked like they were growing fine (YAY) and two were not, just looked like eggs. I don't know how I missed all of the advice to take them out as I am finding all of them NOW :-(

Day 18 all looked fine under her. Today is day 20, I didn't check her yesterday. I just found that one of the quitters exploded. There is dried goo on a couple of the eggs and some under her. How do I clean remaining eggs? Do I clean her off?? I'm so scared to move them too much, but just read that the goo can suffocate the chick! Is it too late to candle the egg to see what's happening inside?? I don't know what to do.

Thanks,
Jeni

Yikes! I've never had this happen but have read posts of it happening to other people. I think the best outcome was when the person used a damp washcloth to wipe mom and eggs off. Just try to get the majority of the gunk off. :fl

Hopefully you'll hear some of the eggs peeping at you!

I had a hen accidentally break an egg early on in the incubation once and the resulting mess got spread quite thoroughly over the rest of the eggs and the nest. I removed and replaced the bedding, left the hen as she was (dirty) and carefully washed the remaining eggs under warm (just a bit warmer than lukewarm) running water, patted them dry and put them back under the hen. They all hatched fine and and on time. So I'd suggest you wash them as I did, but be very careful and quick as you can be. They'll be alright.

Thanks so much. Just checked on them and it 'sounds' like only one of them is viable :-( VERY cool to hear chirping from inside the egg... Crazy! Still crossing fingers!

Thanks so much. I had actually pretty much ended up doing similar. I brought a bowl of warm water and a towel out to the Hen house, wiped them down as well as Mom. I worked quickly and put them right back with clean bedding. Mama BO was sitting on them when I left this morning. Unfortunately when I went to check on them this evening, she had pushed one of them out and was fairly cold. I can only hear one chirping inside of their egg (very cool) :-( there were 5 that looked great on day 14.

I show that they were due today though will give them a few more days and see what happens. Thanks for responding.

Back
Top Bottom