Help!!! Rain!!!!

Hey There, I am having the same issue. We live here in California as well. Have been preparing for winter as time and finances will allow. I put put pine shavings in the run. Mistake. Remember rain we had a month ago?? It was stinky and my birds got sick....... now it's bare dirt right now. We are going to put down drain rock firsts then sand. This soil is Sandy Loam so when it gets wet it's like quick sand..........Dh had to line dog run with rock, what a mess, poor Broady was sinking into the rock and mud. I brought him into the garage for the night. We just are not winter ready............yet......

Edit to say: we went to home depot and bought corrugated plastic sheets to cover the run- attached it with a slope and to top so rain will drain off better; we didn't get it finished in time though....

Last edited:
I used the sheets too...at a bit of an angle but it leaks under...so I am all wet again....the birds got a laugh...I went to take care of them...and tripped in the dark....boy did I look a sight pine shavings and mud and well I'm sure poop..........kept my mouth closed!

Quote:
Ohhhhhhh no!!!!!!!!!

Yes this rain is proving very difficult. My girls are standing out in it right now. I might go out and shoooo them into the coop. Close it up so the water won't get inside. It's been getting wet by there little opening. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

We have pea gravel in our run, and I am pretty happy with it. It's stayed very clean in the rains we've had here in N. CA. Only problem is having to trek through the mud to get *to* the chicken run. Oh, well.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom