HELP REALLY NEED IT!

SilkySilkie

Songster
Aug 7, 2021
Vic,Australia
ok so we got our first incubator and the day it arrived we had a hen go broody hen had her chicks hatch out but the incubator eggs had died in the stages of developing and so there were 2 eggs left we were unsure about and put them under the broody hen but she got off and in the morning the eggs were really cold so my mum told me they wouldn't hatch and then tried to crack them open but they didn't crack so she tried it with a little pebble and that's where we messed up there was a live chick inside it later died even if we helped it hatch it still had most of his yolk out and the second chick's egg was cracked near the air cell and my mum opened it a bit further while i wasn't home and now we don't know what to do all the videos we saw were about helping chicks that have already pipped and it didn't help its day 24

Have you candled the egg to see if they're full developed? Can you build an emergency incubator with a cooler?
i have an incubator that i have the chick in with a warm damp paper towel the chick doesn't seem like its ready to come out yet but the shell its halfway peeled away but we have left the inner membrane intact the chick started to peep a little but not too much

Without addressing other possible causes for the specific symptoms, my first thought is that since it is a new incubator, your first time, the fact that few hatch and late at that - I'll bet the temperature was low throughout. You can't rely on the readings on an incubator even if brand new. They usually need to be verified and calibrated. Get yourself at least one more guaranteed accurate thermometer.
One can also set their watch by a when eggs hatch if temperature has been correct. It will usually be exactly 21 days.

Back
Top Bottom