Help, Really Sick Duck!!!

East SevenAcres

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2022
I have a young duck hen about 6m old that has stopped eating altogether. She has lost 4pounds and hasn't eaten in 3 weeks. Her companions are seemingly normal. I've checked for ex-parasites and are none, and I'm four days into a natural deworming process that takes 14 days. I am very worried for her so if anyone has any suggestions or info... Also, she drinks plenty, her stools are small and very fluid, and before she was throwing up it looked like water almost 2times a day.

No, I don't think so. Do you mean deworming? I'm using 'The Poultry store" dewormer, and it takes 14 days to fully deworm.

Odd? Yes, she stands with her neck in and she does something like she is trying to groom her chest or something. She also shakes her head a lot. She has thrown up a few times too, clear and very fluid and looks like water. She will shake her head and then it will just gush out of her bill. Also, she isn't eating. At all. She refuses treats and food. I tried to syringe feed her but no matter how ground up or wet I make it, it won't go up my syringe. As with deworming, it takes 14 days, and I'm on my 12th day she isn't making any progress.

That wormer has nothing in it that will deworm a duck. The ingredients read something like allium, black and red pepper, oregano…. If you want to deworm her you will need something like Valbazen, SafeGuard, Panacur, levamisole or a proven medication. She may have some kind of crop or digestive disorder from such a dramatic weight loss. Have you looked inside her bill and throat for any canker or unusual material? I will tag @Miss Lydia who is more knowledgeable about ducks.
Oh, I just saw that you have 2 ongoing threads, and Miss Lydia has already replied:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/really-sick-duck.1552935/

I have a young duck hen about 6m old that has stopped eating altogether. She has lost 4pounds and hasn't eaten in 3 weeks. Her companions are seemingly normal. I've checked for ex-parasites and are none, and I'm four days into a natural deworming process that takes 14 days. I am very worried for her so if anyone has any suggestions or info... Also, she drinks plenty, her stools are small and very fluid, and before she was throwing up it looked like water almost 2times a day.
Did you check for an impacted crop? I ask because you mentioned her looking like she's grooming her chest or something... she could be massaging her own chest if she feels like there's something stuck in her crop. It could explain the lack of appetite, weight loss and vomiting.

Thanks for checking the dewormer, it says for all poultry and has ducks listed. Inside her bill is normal. We have Valbasen, how much do I give her? I could weigh her again if you want.
She looks so sulky and just floats in her pool all day.

Back
Top Bottom