HELP!!! Really worried about my eggs/poults

Jocasta

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
I'm using a Brinsea Eco 20 to hatch out turkeys. I've got 12 eggs. One's dead (just candled) but all the others have internal pips and are rocking - it's DAY 25!!! I was just putting them into lockdown... What are their chances of surviving with internal pips already? Especially given the fact that I haven't put the humidity up yet??? God I'm so, so worried about my babies
sad.png

I don't know a whole lot about turkeys. But as long as you increase the humidty before they external pip they should be fine
smile.png

Last edited:
Definitely no external pips yet. My mail worry was that the shell would be too hard - isn't the increased humidity supposed to soften the shell so they can actually make that initial pip? Argh, this is torture!!! What about the early hatching? I had chickens hatch on day 19 last year (broody did the hard work so I wasn't a nervous wreck haha), and they were all fine - I guess three days early for turkeys wouldn't be much different from two days early for chickens?

fl.gif
for my little bubbas! Thanks for the reply!!! Have been anxiously awaiting a response since posting my question.

I'm not sure about turkeys, but all my duck eggs had internally pipped before I increased the humidity. One even started cracking his shell, so last night I increased the humidity in my Brinsea mini advance and he hatched about 12 hours later with no problem. I was worried he might become shrink wrapped, but he seems fine.

I have never heard that increased humidity softens the shell. I had done a staggered hatch once and lost count of which eggs to lockdown. The humidity had slipped down to around 25% in the main incubator and I had a old english bantam chick actually in those conditions. The little one did great, with no problems.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you. I've just checked on them and we have a pip! Now the worrying REALLY starts!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom