HELP! Red strings in my chick's poop?! (Pic post #10)

I believe it's intestinal sloughings. I can't think of any intestinal parasite thats even the color you decribed.. and actual worms being shed in the droppings of 2 1/2 week old chicks is just unhead of..I'm guessing their feed has been changed from what they were eating?

There's a pic of the suspect on post #10. It's red/orange as you can see. As far as I know there is absoloutly nothing that they could have eaten that would cause them to have those things in their droppings.

Are they all acting fine otherwise? Cocci will also cause this, but if none are acting cold and have ruffed feathers I doubt this the case..Probably just due to stress and change of feed..Vitamins are good as they help rebuild the intestinal walls..I think they will be fine...

Yeah, they are active as always. Hopefully it's nothing.
idunno.gif

OH, why didn't I think of this before. Around 3-4 days ago, just when this started to appear. They did eat ALOT of wood shavings and paper towel, that's another story. But let me tell you, they sure acted like wood shavings were a treat.

My chicks had that a few times - it's intestinal lining, like someone else said. No problem at all.
smile.png
They will literally try to eat anything so I had to be extra-vigilant about keeping the dangerous little bits of things away from them. They are fast little critters.
lol.png

You could try giving them probiotic-vitamin powder in the water for a day. Then run some Bacitricin/Neomycin in the water for a couple days. I mix the two together in equal parts and give a heaping teaspoon per gallon of water. Some people have a problem with birds eating the very fine pine shavings. If you are using that, remove it and use larger shavings and don't let them run out of feed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom