Help! Red-swollen vent

ChickenAl

Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Putnam cty, NY
What could this be. One of our amberlinks, the most mature looking at 16 weeks, had her butt facing me and she raised her tail feathers and I saw what looked like her insides protruding in a red bulge, then she retracted it and put down her tail feathers. She has not laid an egg yet. It is fairly hot today, if that means anything.

Has anyone seen this before?

Quote:
I went outside to watch her and she looks normal and acts normal. I opened the coop and went in to check if there was anything weird like strange poop and there was an egg in the nest box. I have no idea if it is her's but she has the largest comb and wattles of the group. I don't know whether to be happy to get our first egg or to be worried she has something wrong with her. Her butt looks normal now and I just don't know if this was a sign she has layed or not. I don't think it is the prolapse but I will keep monitoring her.

Am I happy or do I freak out!

I'd be happy! The vents redden and swell when they reach laying age. What you saw was likely her flexing muscles to push down the egg. Prolapse is not all that common and her insides would be coming out needing to be pushed back in. In this case she just pushed out an egg.

Back
Top Bottom