Help!? Rhode Island Red Question

GAteacher99

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Valdosta, GA
I am new to raising chickens. I bought some RIR from TSC recently on two separate occasions. I bought two that were supposedly pullets (I believe they are Roos from all I have read). Then after researching went back and bought six more and asked if I could pick out my own. Lol! Question is...the first two are about 5 weeks old and have lots of white feathers...but the breast feathers are red... The others are just a week old but their wing and tail feathers are obviously "red". Why the difference. Both bought as RIR!??
[/IMG]

The five week olds are not RIR. They were marked as 'red pullets' right? Those are red sex links. They're a mix designed so that the boys and girls hatch different colors. They are definitely girls, if that makes you feel any better :)

And the little ones you picked out look like New Hampshire reds, and I think TSC only sells those straight run, so you may well have some roosters there.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response!!! Maybe it did say red pullets? What about the smallest chicks?? I know for certain that I got them from a bin that said road island red (they were supposed to be straight line pulled!?)

The little ones are Rhode Island Reds.
Do you mean the sign said "Strait Run" or "Pullets"?

You wont be able to sex the Rhode Island Reds until they start developing combs and wattles.

Strait Run is both male and female
Pullets are all female (with a 10% chance of males)

Last edited:
I had read that a black line on the back of a road island red chick was a sign that it was a hen. I tried to only picks those with a black line :$ ??

Back
Top Bottom