Help. RIR just up and died??? Why??? Details please read I need adv

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Country Living Farm, May 9, 2009.

1. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    :Ok. I let them all out this morning ans all was fine. Just got home and one RIR was just lying there still alive. After looking her over I quick got some meds for the water and got her to drink some. I put her back down and as soon as I did, The two roosters, RIR, started maiting with her. I pushed the off and took her out. After putting her n a cage for about 2 minutes or so, she started to shake and jolt then she was dead???? I can tell you the two RIR rooster as something else. Very violent and always going after the hens I lost an americana about 3 weeks ago as well. It seems when one roo is mating, the other runs over starts to fight and then he gets on for his turn. I am thinking the roos are injuring the hens and over breeding with them. I had a Barred Rooster and after selling him got the the two RIR rooster so I could have some pure. should I get rid of one rooster? Has anyone ever had this problem or heard of it.

Thanks in advance for everyones help!![​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

How many hens do you have for how many roosters? They tend to compete. You don't need more than one rooster for every 12-15 hens. I have one rooster for 31 hens!
    Your hen's death may have nothing to do with the rooster's mating activities, though.

3. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    I would say that the trama the hens have is neuriological at best
    causing heart attacks
    (A )yes one rooster is enough pressure on the hens
    so do dispose of one

(B) or make two pens of chickens
    one rooster to 1/2 of the hens

now with that said do the
    (C) natural probiotic wet mash with Vit E and Vit B complex added immediately
    basically the hens have some nerve damage do this immediately
    need neurolodigal vit E and Vit B complex for nervous disorder Also the apple cider vineager in water

(1) 2 tbsp per gallon of water till chickens are well and the 2 times a week for life

(2 immediately give the chickens 1000 mg capsule (for each chicken including the rooster)of liquid Vit E by cutting the end of the capsule and taking the vit E liquid and mix with 1 tsp of water in cup for each capsule for each chicken

(2-B) total amt of capsules equals the total amt of chickens fed vit's

(3 also need to crush a vit B complex pill ( one for each chicken eating the wet mash including the rooster) some water 1 tsp for each pill needed and put it in the chickens wet mash after it is disolved

(3-B) Do both Vit's twice today then for 7 days till you see some improvement in the chicken

(3-C) then give this to all chickens twice a week for two weeks should see much improvement

(4 generally the shock of a event like rooster provocation on top of hens will cause chickens to have this nerve damage

(5 today I would see if the chickens will eat a wet mash with the Vitamins E and B complex

(-B) THIS IS FOR ONE CHICKEN (multiply by the amt of chickens you have to eat this wet mash and Vitamins)

natural probiotic wet mash
    2 tbp of dry crumbles
    4 tbp of milk sweet, sour or buttermilk
    1 tbsp of non flavored yogurt
    mix good and put the
    vit E liquid as directed in the wet mash
    and crumble the Vit B complex tablet in a tabsp and add to the wet mash
    **BESURE AND MIX VIT'S VERY GOOD IN WET MASH*** so all chickens get their share

(6 Do this twice a day for 7 days to see if the chickens are better
    then do this once a day for another week then once a week for a while
    this should give the nervous system some stability

(6-A) they should clean it up in 20-30 minutes

(6-B) you have to include the amt of vit's for the roosters as they will eat their share of wet mash and not leave enough for the hens

(7
    you can email by PM for more information and include this inf so I remember what is happening

4. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    Wow thanks for the advice. What does the Apple Cider Vinger co for the chickens.

5. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Quote:Apple cider vinegar raises the acidity in the digestive system, which makes a favorable environment for good bacteria to grow. The more organic vinegar you can get, the more natural enzymes and trace elements it will have, which also helps with the immune system. ACV also acts as a natural antibiotic which isn't as harsh on the system as meds. It's good for salmonella prevention, since salmonella can easily spread through the water.

6. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    natural apple cider vinegar is sold at health food store and has natural brown "mother" at the bottom of the jar
    so shake it every time you use some of it so you will get some of the brown "mother" also in the water
    you can email me for more ifo PM me

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I get my organic, unfiltered ACV (Spectrum brand) at a regular Ingle's Grocery, if you have those nearby.

8. Glenda Heywoodo

Glenda Heywoodo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Cassville Missouri
    I would like to add his
    apple cider vinegar for chicken:
    There has been lots of research done where ACV has been added to one group of chicken’s water and the compared against the other ‘control’ group.
    Cider Vinegar for chickens is acidic and it is this acidity that means ACV is a mild anticeptic and will kill a number of germs. In addition to this, it is claimed to act like a mild antibiotic. Antibiotics kill infectious bacteria that can cause disease in chickens.
    In addition to these benefits, Apple Cider Vinegar is full of vitamins, minerals and trace elements that are beneficial to your chickens but you do have to be careful where you buy ACV from – don’t go rushing off to Tesco just yet!
    [​IMG]
    on Amazon
    Apple Cider Vinegar has been proven to help chickens with stress which is one of the main contributors to their immune system lowering and letting in disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by