Help! Rooster attacking me

I think ill just do it to get it over.
Probably easiest to do, they only get worse , it's hard to "re-educate" a mean roo. Sorry you have to do it though. It's always hard when it's been one you liked before. Hopefully he'll attack you again right before you do it so you can be guilt free! Jk ;)

So do i have to kill him?
I think that depends on you, and him. I think there are sometimes conditions to consider.
Is the the dominate male?
Is he rough with the girls?
Does he protect the girls?
Does he back down if you "peck" back?
My boy are not really bad. Hank rules the roost, he bit me a couple of times, I either "pecked" him on the back or kicked him across the run. He doesn't bother me now. I can even pick him up if I need to. But generally don't. I talk to him but I don't love on him.
Lil' Bit, the subordinate cockerel, has just finished his "training" and is also behaving.
I understand that there are others that this won't work for so it all depends on the roo.

I remember had a big black cock, he really did not like people. I was his owner, but he constantly jumped on me, kicked and pecked. And he pecked so much that if I came in short pants, then my legs were a little bit bloody. But at the same time he never offended the hens, always called them when he found a food, and in every way guarded.
Therefore, this cock I slaughtered only when he became very-very old and sick. We maked a soup ))

He protects the hens and dosent let me go anywhere near them. So when i fill thier food he comes back and kicks me :). Hes really big.

I have a buff orpington rooster, that at maybe 3 or 4 months, started to get aggressive. I did not know what I would do as I had become very attached to him. I had held and cuddled him since chickhood but then he started to bite me spontaneously and unprovoked. I posted on here for advice. Most replies told me to kill him or get rid of him. I also found a few sites where people had reformed their roosters. I made the personal choice to give my rooster a chance. He is now 6 months. He has calmed down and never turned into the monster people said he would. He is still feisty by nature. He no longer spontaneously bites me ( that only lasted maybe 5 days ) but will chase after my feet if I am walking away from him. He will peck my feet if he can but if I turn around while he is running after me he will stop in his tracks and rum away from me. That is the extend to his aggression now; this strange little game. Also he will step sideways toward me when I put him down after holding him, though he knows his real place.
He seeks me out and settles into my lap, he likes being petted etc... When he is scared he comes to me and sticks out his chest and lifts his wings a little to say "pick me up". He also likes his independence to do rooster things in the yard. So I guess every rooster and situation is unique? I guess he had his hormonal moment and then calmed down, idk. Anyway I love him. He is my only rooster and he is a pet.

Back
Top Bottom