Help!! Rooster has Sprained/Broken his Leg!!

I think it's best not to advise a minor about heath issues, If he took your advise and had adverse effects it could be a legal issue for ya! Let his parents take care of that and lets move on~~~ My Rooster also is limping hes eating good and drinking fine I know that he is haveing some stress or pain because his comb is not a bright as it usually is~~~~ kinda pink! I have him sitting on my dining room table in a makeshift kennel ( my laundry hamper) great for nesting boxes and if ya have to travel or bring them in for bad weather situations =) I give him a li aspirin in water and keep him quiet on a clean soft towel ~~ he has his grain a few grapes wich he likes and a water bottle to peck at for water!! I am hoping in a few days he will be ready to return to his ladies..... but he hasn't been crowing!!! ~~~ I took him outside for a few minutes and he saw his girls and he did crow but not since I brought him back in!! do you think what i am doing is ok? or do the girls need him out there for direction or warning? i would hate for something to happen to them because i took him in and left them without warning! any feedback on this question would be appreciated!
What you are doing is fine. You can also give him an epsom salt soak for 15-20 minutes,great for sprains/sore muscles. I would keep him inside for a few days,to monitor his condition. Make sure he is eating/drinking properly. Check the bottom of his foot for bumblefoot,just to rule it out.

Last edited:
JUST NEEDED A LIL REASSURANCE THAT I WAS DOING WHAT I NEEDED TO DO ~~~ I CHECKED THE BOTTOM OF HIS FEET THEY DONT LOOK LIKE THEY ARE CUT OR SWOLLEN AND HE IS STANDING FOR LONGER PERIODS OF TIME ..ACTUALLY GETTING SPOILED WATCHING THE TURTLE MAN EACH NIGHT LOL~~~HE LOVES THAT LIVE ACTION=) A COUPLE MORE DAYS WILLMTELL THE STORY! THANKS FOR THE ADVISE!

Last edited:
I think it's best not to advise a minor about heath issues, If he took your advise and had adverse effects it could be a legal issue for ya! Let his parents take care of that and lets move on~~~

True, I guess, though I didn't claim to be a medical expert, and the advice I gave is just harmless dietary stuff commonly advised by doctors anyway. I didn't stipulate amounts, or the usage of drugs or dangerous substances. Doubt they can get me for that, and seriously doubt the thread starter's somehow able to harm themselves with the things I said my brother's used for his memory issues. :p

My Rooster also is limping hes eating good and drinking fine I know that he is haveing some stress or pain because his comb is not a bright as it usually is~~~~ kinda pink!....
....I took him outside for a few minutes and he saw his girls and he did crow but not since I brought him back in!! do you think what i am doing is ok? or do the girls need him out there for direction or warning? i would hate for something to happen to them because i took him in and left them without warning! any feedback on this question would be appreciated!

A previously red crest having gone pink is a serious sign of ill health in a rooster especially... I've had roosters with bright red crests after death, lol, they do their best to fake their health when it's not 100%. The fact that he's not crowing is very serious in my experience. To me that means he thinks he's not too likely to make it, unless he was a second-in-charge roo and he's scared of another roo beating him up. Whatever has gone wrong is serious and possibly life threatening. Is he limping with both legs? Is it noticeably one leg or maybe is something else wrong?

Don't worry about the hens, they manage just fine without roosters. They have the same instincts, basically, and if he's not around they'll just adjust. I would make him a little convalescent cage where he can see the other chooks but not be beaten up on by them. He needs to be out where he can have sunshine (vit D also helps healing) and be reminded that he's a rooster with a social life to look forward to. They can lose some serious spark if staring at four walls daily, especially males, a hen can be more philosophical about it but most males tend to freak out and think it's the end of the world. Being kept awake at night by artificial noises can be detrimental, i.e. TV programs, and other unnatural stimuli like lights on after dark. I'd try to diagnose his issue more clearly; limping or lameness can also be caused by diseases and toxicity and infections and worms and many things other than just a break or sprain. Best wishes with all that.

My RIR rooster, my favorite chicken of my 40 some chickens, has sprained or broken his leg. It started yesterday and he was limping. It is his right leg. He still hobbles around and eats and drinks very well. But looks like his leg is slowing him down. He doesn't put much weight on it and I don't know what to do. This same thing happened to him last year and I kind of forgot all the things I did. Anything on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Colton

My rooster Paddy started limping about a week and a half ago, after doing something stupid to impress the ladies :rolleyes:. We checked his leg, which seemed fine physically, and we left him to it. Now, he is much better, and can almost run. I think it's probably just a sprain, but if you make sure he has access to food and clean water, he'll should be right as rain in very little time. :D

Generally the basic advice with a suddenly lame animal is to keep it still or restricted somewhere comfortable where it won't be attacked by others or feel vulnerable. Having feed and water within reach is handy so if it's a bad injury they're not aggravating it trying to reach feed/fluids.

Don't forget that infections, parasites, diseases, and toxicity/poisoning from various things can also cause lameness. People often overlook that, sometimes with fatal results.

Also, (just a reminder), minors in particular are not supposed to be posting their ages on these forums, because a predator could then use that info to their advantage.

It's good to be positive and hope for the best, but also good to take precautionary steps just in case it's the worst case scenario. Sometimes an 'all-in-one' type treatment is a good bet. I'd use various things for that (natural of course, lol, not man made, I avoid that). While I do things naturally whenever able, this is not to condemn or dismiss other solutions for it. Go with what your education on the subject leads you to believe it the best bet or the right way.

Best wishes.

My light brahma rooster, has scraped the top of his left foot, and has a sprain. He is sometimes a clutz as big as he is. I have treated the scrape, and put him in the duck house that the ducks don't use. He will stand on it for a while, he crows, his comb and waddles are bright red. I know it hurts and he will lay down away from the girls. I have water for him, and he eats. I think I will soak it in epsom salts tomorrow. I have been giving him half a baby aspirin for pain. He is such a good boy, but I feel bad for him. Any help would be appreciated...as long as it concerns chickens...no time for deviation from the subject matter.
2747.png

Back
Top Bottom