Help! Rooster hurt and I don't know what it is!

beckyschicks

Songster
13 Years
Sep 22, 2009
Iron Ridge WI
I have a year and a half old cochin rooster. he is my top boy. I found him sitting on the floor of the coop, unable to stand or keep his balance. He tilts his head to the right side and back. His crop is empty and his breathing is at times labored, not all the the time, but at times. he was fine at 430pm and I found him at 10. No mites that I can see. No other chickens that are showing any similar signs at this time. I'm going to give him some vit water and yoguart.
What might this be and what should I do? Anything will help. Of all the chickens I have, this is the one that will break my heart if he's gone tomorrow. But of course that's how it always is.
Thanks!

my chicken was doing the same thing a couple weeks ago. it might be botchilism where the chicken is to week to stand or even some times lift its head. my poor hen had her head dragging on the floor! most chickens that get this usually die. but your in luck! my method that other byc users helped me put together made my hen make a full recovery! there are 3 things to give him that your gonna have to force down his throat with a baby medicine dispenser 1. is Moluccas or strong syrup. when you give him this make sure he has water right after so he doesn't choke on the stickiness. 2. which is most important. YOU NEED TO GET THIS IT IS THE BEST THING A SICK CHICKEN CAN HAVE!!!!. Epson salt. mix a tea spoon with about a half cup of water and let the salt dissolve into the water then give him that. p.s. he isn't going to like it. why thats the best thing is because it flushes out a chickens system. 3. pediolight or any kind of electro light to give him energy to stand up.

im very sorry to hear about your roo hope he makes a full recovery with this method!!!!
hugs.gif

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT. GIVE HER ONLY ONE BABY MEDICINE DISPENSER FULL OF EACH EVERY DAY. if it looks like he could use a but more electrolytes then give him another dose. hope it helps!!! keep us updated.
thumbsup.gif
:D
fl.gif

Last edited:
I'll get pics.
I was just reading that and Im going to try the molassas. Dont have any epsiom salt but, will work with what I have. He is not doing well though and DH thinks it might be to late. I keep telling him I have to try. How do I get it in him? He had a hard time with the water and vits. I'm worried about it going in his lungs. Thanks

Wry Neck?
Not sure but that's what it sounds like to me. In adults, from what I understand, it is usually a nutritional deficiency. Maybe Google it and see what you come up with?
Good Luck.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom