Help Rooster limping and wheezing

Cocohennypenny

Chirping
May 31, 2020
I have a rooster called coco hes 8 years old and a big boy. A few days ago I noticed he’s wheezing and sneezing whenever I’m around him he sneezes and sounds like he’s purring heavily (not in a good way). Today I noticed he has started to limp I put his feet into warm water with salt. Didn’t seem to do anything I bought a rooster booster multivitamin and probiotics for him to mix in with his favourite bird seed mix, but he hasn’t been eating it as much as he does he has maybe 3/4 bites and that’s it. I also realised there’s a heavy issue of fleas in the coop so I have sprayed down the place with flea repellent , had boiling water on it , vinegar and scrubbed it down with dairy I have a chicken flea repellent coming in tomorrow I’m worried about my rooster coco :(

Attachments

• IMG_2132.jpg
    IMG_2132.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2133.jpg
    IMG_2133.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2134.PNG
    IMG_2134.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
rooster called coco hes 8 years old and a big boy. A few days ago I noticed he’s wheezing and sneezing whenever I’m around him he sneezes and sounds like he’s purring heavily
he has started to limp I put his feet into warm water with salt. Didn’t seem to do anything
hasn’t been eating it as much as he does he has maybe 3/4 bites and that’s it. I also realised there’s a heavy issue of fleas in the coop so I have sprayed down the place with flea repellent
Welcome To BYC!

I'm sorry that Coco is not feeling well, for 8 years old, he's done well!

If you have fleas this may be causing him to not feel well, but I would also check his crop to make sure it's empty first thing in the morning.
You mention a limp and putting his feet in salt water - do you have photos of his feet and legs? Did you happen to see any indication of raised scales, crusty feet or scabs/swelling on the toes, foot pads, etc.?

I would work on getting him hydrated, see if he will eat after you get him drinking. Photos of his poop would be good too.
The products you posted - I'm assuming you are in Europe/UK? Knowing your location is helpful when recommending treatment options - if possible, take a poop sample to your vet or send it mail order to Westgate (if you are in the UK) to see if worms may be an issue.

Treating housing and birds for fleas would be important. Hopefully you can get them under control soon.

I have a rooster called coco hes 8 years old and a big boy. A few days ago I noticed he’s wheezing and sneezing whenever I’m around him he sneezes and sounds like he’s purring heavily (not in a good way). Today I noticed he has started to limp I put his feet into warm water with salt. Didn’t seem to do anything I bought a rooster booster multivitamin and probiotics for him to mix in with his favourite bird seed mix, but he hasn’t been eating it as much as he does he has maybe 3/4 bites and that’s it. I also realised there’s a heavy issue of fleas in the coop so I have sprayed down the place with flea repellent , had boiling water on it , vinegar and scrubbed it down with dairy I have a chicken flea repellent coming in tomorrow I’m worried about my rooster coco :(

Hi sorry for your boy

First thing for wheezing I will start Antibiotic Baytril 10% , 5 days 2 times a day 10mg per Kg or Doxycycline .

For limping the common cause is jumping from.high perch or injury and Bumblefoot ( if there's scab visible)

Mostly limping cases recover with diet. If it's nutritional based Multi-vitamins and Amino Acids helpful
Some Riboflavin Deficiency or Vitamin A , E or D can cause limping
If he feel alot of pain you can give Anti-inflammatory meloxicam (but try to heal it without Anti-inflammatory)

I will suggest you to treat his respiratory Infection first . And boost his immunity with multi-vitamins also give him Vitamin C tablet (20 mg) this will make his system to boost up and fight off with Infection 2x faster
Also give Supplemental pre- probiotics (not yoghurt) with 3-4 active strains. Let him soak early sunlight (from.9 to 11 am) which is helpful for bones and less harmful

Wrap his injured leg and don't let him jump . Give him boiled eggs or oats and monitor if he feels better with treatment

Best of luck

Hi thank you all so much for reply means a lot! I gave coco some of the probiotics on some treats and scrambled eggs I’m working on treating the fleas. We are in the uk.
coco had a bumble foot problem which I treated a few months ago he didn’t have an issue with his foot again .just only today I noticed the limping
Unfortunately due to corona I can’t get vet help for chickens since non are close by and are currently shut. I will work on everything you have said thank you guys I’ll keep you updated :)

Hi everyone I gave coco some salmon (cat food) with vitamins this is his foot and his poop

Attachments

• ceeacc20-4fe7-43ea-89b1-f522b9a21e28.JPG
    ceeacc20-4fe7-43ea-89b1-f522b9a21e28.JPG
    286.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2150.PNG
    IMG_2150.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2149.PNG
    IMG_2149.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 5
It's hard to tell, but his feet look a bit knotty/gnarled and possibly swollen or widened.
Are his scales raised as well?

I would work some oil (coconut, castor) or vaseline into and underneath the scales of the legs.
With his age he may be suffering from arthritis.

Hopefully getting rid of the parasites will help.

Back
Top Bottom