HELP!!! ROOSTER WITH INJURED FOOT!!! WITH PICS

Comeonbroodyhen

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Ontario Canada
Hello this is a 9-10 month old blue Orpington rooster, his foot just became injured and he can't walk to much and he's starting to loose weight, he's my main breeder for my sq Orpington birds and really need him. Does anybody know what the problem is and how to fix it ?
I've got him on antibiotics right now.
Thanks,
Connor

looks like he has a bad case of bumble foot. given that its swollen on the other side. wash it in warm water with Epsom salts and soak it, then dry it and lance it and see if theres gunk, or open up the other side ( the bottom) and see if its impacted.

Do a search for Bumblefoot. I worked with an Orpington myself for several months, but the infection finally spread up her leg into the bone and I had to put her down. There is some great info out there with pictures. If you want to spend the money there are exotic vets out there that can do the surgery for you. You will have to flush and wrap it each day as well.

It will be on the bottom of the foot where the scales/skin seem stretched and it will be lumpy . Otherwise you could go in the other side and try to remove it from there or at least remove as much infection as possible

Hi -- Having been unhappy with the results of my own attempts at surgery with my chickens, may I suggest soaking his foot in really hot water with epsom salts first? Chicken pus is not like ours, it is cheesy and you have to squeeze it out. Maybe you can try this if you can't find a bird vet before you go after him with sharp instruments. .This is what I have done with two birds: fill up the sink with water that is hot but not too hot for me to stand. I dissolved around a cup of epsom salts in the water. I took the bird out of the coop while it was sleeping, treated it gently so it was docile, and lowered the legs into the warm/hot water. The birds seemed to enjoy this. In both cases, the condition was improved. In one, it was cured.

Thanks, it says in the video you should cut around the scab, but in the pic I provided I can't really see any actual scab area !
See if you feel a lump or a hard kernel inside the foot. Wherever it is, it has to come out. Sometimes they do self absorb. But your roos foot is infected and the infection forms a sortof ball , and it needs to come out. Soaking in Epsom salts is good, it helps make the skin more tender so the kernel can be popped out.

Back
Top Bottom