HELP! Rooster with swollen wattle and black infection

Update. My rooster is getting worse. I now found a grape sized lump under his neck at the top of his injured wattle. I think it is causing restricted blood flow to his wattle. His wattle is getting hard and shriveling up. It is still red in color and very little oozing only when squeezed. I have continued putting Neosporin on open wounds and restarted antibiotic (Tylan 50). Not sure if that will help. I might have to take him to the vet for the lump since I don't feel comfortable slicing him open to see what's inside. Especially since its so close to his throat.

UPDATE* Graphic photo! Went to vet and was told black part on waddle is necrotic (dead) tissue. Poor guy had to have it all removed and scraped out. He was such a trooper and sedative helped too! Was put on anti-inflammatory and pain killer. Now have to wait to see if new tissue will grow and hole will heal up. So, far it's starting to shrink and close up. He let's me bandage it up so when he eats the food does not get in the gaping wound, but I need to keep it moist. So, I put Neoporin around edges and use saline spray to moisten skin. There was nothing in the large mass under his chin. Theory is it could be scar tissue or swollen lymph nodes.

Attachments

• P7197816.JPG
    P7197816.JPG
    431.2 KB · Views: 12
  • P7197823.JPG
    P7197823.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom