Help! Run material advice

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DS17, Jan 16, 2016.

1. DS17

DS17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    My free ranging flock has taken the word free range to the extreme! I am constantly having to go over to the neighbors and bring them back. I'm talking well over 100 yards away from our yard. I have lost 5 birds since I started having chickens in May. I have got to start containing them unfortunately. The coop is a prebuilt (please don't judge. My husband runs our business and doesn't have time to build a coop even though we own a construction company [​IMG]) The coop is off the ground with a big door to go in on one side and a small door and ramp on the other. There is a big door in front to collect eggs. The coop is 6 ft long by 5 ft wide and 6 feet high. For a quick fix I was thinking of enclosing the whole coop with a dog run but was wondering if there were any better ideas. We do have cattle panels that we could use although they are not 6 ft tall. And it's too muddy and frozen to hammer the t posts into the ground. I know a permanent run would need to have at least a foot of protection under the ground but for now I just need a quick solution until spring. Any cost effective suggestions?

2. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Well except for the T-post problem, I came across some old galvanized roofing tin, pounded in 8 footers, drilled holes in the tin, and wired it to the posts, the went upward with chicken wire.
    That's all I got.

Maybe a gas powered post hole digger might work. [​IMG]

They also make a pneumatic post pounder you can rent.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Dog run would work for fast.
    You don't need to bury a foot of wire, look into using an apron for anti dig.

[​IMG]

4. DS17

DS17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    Very interesting. Definitely something to think about. What material would you suggest for the apron? Can it lay on top of the ground???

5. Husker Hens

Husker Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd bury it just enough to hide it, that was whatever is digging will hit it but won't think to back up and dig further away. If the edge can be seen a racoon is smart enough to pry up the edge. Don't have to bury it much, this is how I did mine
    [​IMG]
    Edit: half inch hardware cloth is the material of choice for most

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  7. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

I made my yard out of aviary mesh and star pickets. I ran wire through the star pickets (horizontally) and attached the wire mesh with wire to the horizontal wire. It can be relatively easily be taken down and moved. (I just folded the aviary mesh over on the bottom to make a "self-apron", but I put the apron on the inside to stop the chooks digging out (there's nobody on the outside to dig in, it's in my backyard)

EDIT: If you need it taller than the width of your wire, you can just join 2 lengths of wire using aviary clips

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What are 'star pickets'?
    Had to look it up.....interesting .
    http://www.starpickets.com/

9. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

In that linked photo, the "common" ones in town are the third from the left. You can thread horizontal wire through those holes, and attach the mesh to that wire. It's not much use to the OP if you don't have them over there

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by