1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help save a marriage

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Peeplperson, May 9, 2009.

1. Peeplperson

Peeplperson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Napa
    We've almost completed our coop & run. We have windows on three sides. So far we have 1/2' welded wire coverings, but HE thinks we need wooden slide coverings to close off and SHE thinks 1/4' plastic slide coverings would work. Do chickens ever need daytime darkness? Or for that matter ever need to have total darkness? FYI, we almost never have thunderstorms (with lightning) The window slide coverings are strictly to control wind/rain. Any opinions?

2. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    If you are going to try to control crowing then I would do the total darkness. that way you can let them out afternoon and not be woken up with crowing early in the morning. If crowing is not a problem then I would have them on regular sunlight. About the side coverings... I would do wood. It is a better insulator and cooler in the summer. but plastic is easier to keep clean and less prone to rot.

3. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Hello, we are in the process of completing our first coop/run this weekend. [​IMG] We live in Southern AZ. We are adding windows, allowing the sunlight in normal hours. We don't get harsh weather.

I'm sure that doesn't help you, [​IMG] but I am curious to see what others have to say!!!!!!

I am sooo excited to get our chickens!!!![​IMG]

4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    The more sunlight the better, especially during the winter when the days are shorter. Egg production generally tapers off during the winter due to the lack of sunlight. Unless you plan on getting up at the crack of dawn every morning to let the girls out so you can maximize their exposure to sun, I would definitely go for the clear plastic!

ETA-If this is the biggest challenge in your happy marriage then I say you're pretty darned lucky! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by