HELP Scalped chick ALIVE (pics attached)

Apr 28, 2021
Arkansas
My Coop
My Coop
I came home to find our chicks were in the garden as I got them all out I counted and we came up one short. I looked all around and then checked in the coop to find this.
My favorite chick too - however she’s still alive her crop is full and she drank some water I’ve moved her inside in a cat carrier with a wash cloth over her.
I didn’t see any other wounds on her body and I didn’t find where the attack occurred either. She seems pretty lifeless ): besides keeping her warm, offering electrolytes and food is there anything I can do???
Normally wounds would get blukote but I can’t do that and I’m unsure if I can even clean this wound or if I should apply neosporin? I’m at a loss here on what happened. They have been out free ranging for almost a week now. All other chicks are fine.

IMG_4356.jpeg
IMG_4357.jpeg

I came home to find our chicks were in the garden as I got them all out I counted and we came up one short. I looked all around and then checked in the coop to find this.
My favorite chick too - however she’s still alive her crop is full and she drank some water I’ve moved her inside in a cat carrier with a wash cloth over her.
I didn’t see any other wounds on her body and I didn’t find where the attack occurred either. She seems pretty lifeless ): besides keeping her warm, offering electrolytes and food is there anything I can do???
Normally wounds would get blukote but I can’t do that and I’m unsure if I can even clean this wound or if I should apply neosporin? I’m at a loss here on what happened. They have been out free ranging for almost a week now. All other chicks are fine.

View attachment 3651980View attachment 3651981
This has happened to my chicks before, try to keep it clean. I used a wound cleaning spray for mine and kept her separate from the others until it scabbed over. Good luck!

This has happened to my chicks before, try to keep it clean. I used a wound cleaning spray for mine and kept her separate from the others until it scabbed over. Good luck!
What kind of would cleansing spray? I’m worried about anything around the eyes and nose that contains alcohol.
Any idea what happened to yours? I have 2 outside cats but they never cared about the chicks now I’m about to rehome them if they think they can attack my babies.

What kind of would cleansing spray? I’m worried about anything around the eyes and nose that contains alcohol.
Any idea what happened to yours? I have 2 outside cats but they never cared about the chicks now I’m about to rehome them if they think they can attack my babies.
I'll have to find the bottle, I made sure to cover her eyes before spraying. I'm pretty sure what happened to mine was from a hawk.

i would use blu-kote and just cover her eyes

The head wounds seem to be scabbing over okay, I’ve been using a cotton ball soaked with the wound spray. I’m too worried about how I would cover her eyes and spray the blukote cause that stuff is wild when it comes out of the can. I’m mostly worried that she’s laid out and wondering if she is paralyzed? I’ve seen her move one wing but not the other and her legs are cold but when I push on them she jerks them a little. Is this just apart of recovery?

I'm new (2 years) with chickens so please take my advice lightly; I'm only trying to help. From what I've learned here, I'd keep her separate from the others, inside in a small basket or separate cage, make sure she's getting enough vitamins (Vitamin B Complex helps), and let her rest. Make sure she has a bowl of feed & water. Keeping her away from the others will help her not get picked on and will also help to keep the wound clean. Waiting and letting her rest may be the best thing if you can't get her to an avian vet. Good luck!

I'm new (2 years) with chickens so please take my advice lightly; I'm only trying to help. From what I've learned here, I'd keep her separate from the others, inside in a small basket or separate cage, make sure she's getting enough vitamins (Vitamin B Complex helps), and let her rest. Make sure she has a bowl of feed & water. Keeping her away from the others will help her not get picked on and will also help to keep the wound clean. Waiting and letting her rest may be the best thing if you can't get her to an avian vet. Good luck!
She is isolated in the house. I’ve been trying to get her to drink water but she’s not interested. I might have to force fluids on her with a syringe. I’ll try some food during normal “wake” hours for them I’m just so sad and stressed out. I’ve had chickens for 1 few years and never had an issue like this. Injured and sick yes but this injury is unknown to me. And of course she’s my favorite so I’m really stressing her recovery.

She is isolated in the house. I’ve been trying to get her to drink water but she’s not interested. I might have to force fluids on her with a syringe. I’ll try some food during normal “wake” hours for them I’m just so sad and stressed out. I’ve had chickens for 1 few years and never had an issue like this. Injured and sick yes but this injury is unknown to me. And of course she’s my favorite so I’m really stressing her recovery.
You should understand that forcing liquids can kill her IF you get so much as one tiny drop forced in to the wrong pipe.

It is safer to tube fluids in to the crop. Tube feeding is safer than syringing anything in to a bird's mouth.

Back
Top Bottom