Chick pecked to skull

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been thinking about.
Because she is drinking, peeping, looking around and reacting when I come into the shed to see her. But at the same time, she keeps leaning and then falling backwards, and google has said that that’s a symptom of brain damage. And I’m not sure what that means for her in the long run, because will she even return to being a chicken again?
I feel so terrible for her, and I hate that we’re fighting to keep her alive when maybe we should just put her down, but she also does seem a lot calmer and overall like she feels better than yesterday. I would rather her pass feeling warm, hydrated, and a bit better than cold, thirsty and in what I can imagine as immense amounts of pain. I’m going to talk this over with my dad and figure something out!
You do have to keep in mind that this is only the first day of recovery for her. You can't expect for her to be up moving around like normal yet. Of course it is up to you and what you think is best, but I thought I'd just point that out.

Um! Well unfortunate update everyone.
I just replied to someone saying how I’m considering putting her down because I don’t know what her future looks like, and then I came out to the shed and she’s unfortunately passed. She’s in a position that makes me think she was sitting under the heat lamp and just kind of… died.
She was doing a lot better a few hours ago, and I kind of had hope, but I think maybe it was too much on her.
She was in a shed (in a separate pen) with her sisters, and they’ve been peeping and playing, so I hope they made her feel not alone.
Her name was Princess Dieggna and I feel like her name was probably a bit of a curse lol!! But she had the most personality and was the first to interact with me when she was younger.
Hoping this thread helps someone else out if they’re in a similar situation. I have had dogs, cats, geckos, fish, rabbits & guinea pigs, and chickens are by far the most stressful and complicated animal lol!! Gotta love them though

You do have to keep in mind that this is only the first day of recovery for her. You can't expect for her to be up moving around like normal yet. Of course it is up to you and what you think is best, but I thought I'd just point that out.
I agree. If she was digressing, there would be no question. But she's fighting to stay alive and showing a smidge of improvement. The mere fact she's lived through this thus far, and reacts to you when you walk in, that touches my heart in that she wants to live.

I just replied to someone saying how I’m considering putting her down because I don’t know what her future looks like, and then I came out to the shed and she’s unfortunately passed. She’s in a position that makes me think she was sitting under the heat lamp and just kind of… died.
She was doing a lot better a few hours ago, and I kind of had hope, but I think maybe it was too much on her.
She was in a shed (in a separate pen) with her sisters, and they’ve been peeping and playing, so I hope they made her feel not alone.
Her name was Princess Dieggna and I feel like her name was probably a bit of a curse lol!! But she had the most personality and was the first to interact with me when she was younger.
Hoping this thread helps someone else out if they’re in a similar situation. I have had dogs, cats, geckos, fish, rabbits & guinea pigs, and chickens are by far the most stressful and complicated animal lol!! Gotta love them though
I'm so sorry. I just replied saying it seemed she was wanting to live and improving a smidge would make me want to keep trying. It just wasn't meant to be. You did everything you could. Princess Dieggna felt your love caring for her for sure. So, so sorry though.

Aww, that's too bad! I'm sorry. You did your best!

Poor thing. I do think she has a good chance of pulling through. I would feed her a tiny bit of egg yolk and then some plain water. If you can, I would get up every hour or so tonight to check on her and give her some electrolyte water every couple of hours. Do you need a recipe? And make sure the wound stays covered with neosporin.
I agree with you.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been thinking about.
Because she is drinking, peeping, looking around and reacting when I come into the shed to see her. But at the same time, she keeps leaning and then falling backwards, and google has said that that’s a symptom of brain damage. And I’m not sure what that means for her in the long run, because will she even return to being a chicken again?
I feel so terrible for her, and I hate that we’re fighting to keep her alive when maybe we should just put her down, but she also does seem a lot calmer and overall like she feels better than yesterday. I would rather her pass feeling warm, hydrated, and a bit better than cold, thirsty and in what I can imagine as immense amounts of pain. I’m going to talk this over with my dad and figure something out!
Can you get a video? I wouldn't always rely on the Google for certain symptoms.

Just saw this.
Not necessarily sure why, or how she passed away from this.

Only thing I can think of is maybe she got more then a pecking, & got a good pumbling, & got internal damage.

Honestly, there isn't much to notice other than no bad smell, and the skin starts to grow back slowly. My last girl (who scalped herself as a baby younger than op's) wore a disposable cloth make up wipe on her head until it just fell off with the remaining scabbing after everything was healed. Never even touched her wound after applying it to the bloody wound when I got her warmed up. She was a bit clumsy the first two days or so after she was placed with a foster mother and chick, but that mama is an awesome mama and was still in 'nest mode' with her own young chick so she didn't move much.

Now granted, I saved her knowing that it was still very possible she didn't make it because of shock, age and trauma. I brought her back from the crumbling brink when I first found her, but now, you wouldn't really know it had happened. She's smaller than I think she should be, but that could easily also be genetics since she's ¼ bantam.

How are her

Do you recall how long the entire process took between identifying the damage and her healing completely?

I've never heard of a hen scalping themselves! My goodness, I can't even picture how that could be self inflicted?

How did the damage compare to the images and description that Ospiee has posted here?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Back
Top Bottom