Help, scream the chickens! We're not sure if she's trying to kill us!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kees, Mar 19, 2009.

1. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Please help us poor, poor chickens. (Quick everybody, look down dejectedly.) Our owner is thinking about giving us some avocados to eat. She was muttering something to herself about not feeding avocados and chocolate to parrots, and now, we fear that she's about to do us in. Should we prepare to fly the coop?

[​IMG] [​IMG] Squawk! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rhondapiper

rhondapiper Chillin' With My Peeps

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Now just a minute, don't go wasting avocados on the chickens! Not even the blackened ones!

Yup, not worth the risk. Give them to the dog. [​IMG]

4. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    to my knowledge, the flesh is just fine for them and they love it. It's only the skin and pits that can be dangerous, so make sure none of it is in there. good luck to you!

5. kees

Feb 5, 2008
    (whispering) thank you so much. we're prepared to make her walk the stoop.

[​IMG]

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    mine have definitely eaten avocado, like as plate leftovers from mex food. But I think that's right - no skins or pits. not safe.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  8. kees

Feb 5, 2008
    (shush) we peeked through a window today and saw her eating the avocado (heh, heh, heh)

the boids

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think there have been toxicity issues with parrots eating the flesh, though. Actual cases. I wish I had a better understanding of this issue. I've read two different speculations related to this. One is that the avocado flesh issue was the flesh closest to the skin or pit. The other is that it depends on the variety of the avocado, that some are a problem and some aren't. There are different varieties or species of avocados. I don't know if either of these theories are correct.

So, the general rule has been to just not feed it. I haven't googled it in quite awhile, so there might be updated information out there.

10. kees

Feb 5, 2008
    (everyone duck...she's coming) what happens if she eats the skin and pit?

the chickens (as they rub their wings together) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by