Help, scream the chickens! We're not sure if she's trying to kill us!

kees

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 5, 2008
Please help us poor, poor chickens. (Quick everybody, look down dejectedly.) Our owner is thinking about giving us some avocados to eat. She was muttering something to herself about not feeding avocados and chocolate to parrots, and now, we fear that she's about to do us in. Should we prepare to fly the coop?

sad.png
barnie.gif
Squawk!
hide.gif
roll.png

Now just a minute, don't go wasting avocados on the chickens! Not even the blackened ones!

Yup, not worth the risk. Give them to the dog.
big_smile.png

to my knowledge, the flesh is just fine for them and they love it. It's only the skin and pits that can be dangerous, so make sure none of it is in there. good luck to you!

(whispering) thank you so much. we're prepared to make her walk the stoop.

wink.png

(shush) we peeked through a window today and saw her eating the avocado (heh, heh, heh)

the boids

I think there have been toxicity issues with parrots eating the flesh, though. Actual cases. I wish I had a better understanding of this issue. I've read two different speculations related to this. One is that the avocado flesh issue was the flesh closest to the skin or pit. The other is that it depends on the variety of the avocado, that some are a problem and some aren't. There are different varieties or species of avocados. I don't know if either of these theories are correct.

So, the general rule has been to just not feed it. I haven't googled it in quite awhile, so there might be updated information out there.

(everyone duck...she's coming) what happens if she eats the skin and pit?

the chickens (as they rub their wings together)
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom