Help selecting a breed!

kfisher

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Navarre
I need something that's friendly, interactive, quiet, loves attention/affection. I was looking at the Sussex and they seem to really fit but I want between 4-6 hens and wanted to try and get a couple different kinds to try out. I'd love a rooster too if I could get a quiet friendly one! Any kidns you love that fit?

Buff Orpingtons are very docile, friendly birds. Alot of people refer to them as the "golden retrievers" of the chicken coop.

I also like full breed Ameraucanas, and Easter Eggers that are mostly Ameraucanas. They are very friendly as well, and like the buff orpington, are easy going types that socialize with human owners very well.

I have had two of the best roosters on this earth -- DaddyRoo, and his son Pierre -- and both were Easter Eggers with mostly Ameraucana lineage.

Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers with alot of Ameraucana in them make absolutely awesome roosters!

My 2 Light Brahma pullets are very friendly and laid back. However my tamest most friendly pullet is my RIR. Not sure if that is a breed thing with them, or just her. She is super sweet, in any case.

Quote:
Friendly? Interactive? LOVES Attention? get a turkey chick! Just kidding! My young turkeys are the only ones that will literally lay in your arms and coo and chirp with eyes closed while you rub their necks. My second friendliest are the silkies. Though sometimes I wonder if they are so calm cause they cannot see.
lol.png

My family and I are new to chickens and we started with a mixed flock of 8 pullets and 3 roosters. (The roosters were just given away to forever homes because we can't have them in the city we live in.) Anyways, we have/had 2 Easter Egger pullets, 1 EE rooster, 1 Speckled Sussex pullet, 1 SS rooster, 2 Australorp pullets, 2 Red Star/Golden Comet pullets, 1 Buff Orpington and 1 Barred Rock! Whew! Did I get them all?

Anyways, our loudest ones are the Australorps. They cackle loud when I go to pick them up gently. That are kind of funny though when they do it as if they are about to hurt until they realize they are fine and then quiet down. Our favorite personalities that fit the qualities you are looking for are the Buff Orpington as a first choice. Sweet, quiet, love to be held, great with kids. Only downfall would be that they don't lay a ton of eggs if that is what you are looking for. Otherwise GREAT chickens! The Speckled Sussex are great too! Our pullet is more independent and less social but the rooster was so sweet and loved to be held! They were both quiet too. Not aggressive at all. I understand they are great egg layers. The Easter Egger pullets are great too because not only the blue/green eggs but their quirky personalities. Sweet, fun to watch, not very loud. Also great egg layers from what I understand. The rooster was a bit bossy though. More vocal too. We got the Red Star when they were a month old so they aren't keen to be held. I am not sure if that is typical or not. Our other chickens were hand raised from days old. That is the key. Get chicks days old and hold them alot! The Barred Rock was a bit of a spazz. I have heard they can be aggressive too. Maybe I am wrong. Anyways, that is just my opinion based on my own little chickens!

I am sure you will find the right chicken breed for you! : )

Good luck!

After I posted a reply I saw that you had posted your question almost 10 days ago! So......what kind of chicks did you get!? Once you get chicks on the brain, it is hard to resist running out and getting some! lol Can't wait to hear what you got!!

For a first time chicken owner, I would get barred rocks. I ordered cochins, brahmas, hambergs, whyandotts, jersy giants, and barred rocks. The barred rocks are the most friendly. And they are rock steady in their egg laying. Good luck whatever you choose and have fun with them!

I've never had any but seems a lot of people have said that the brahma's very friendly. I have 4 female Barred Rocks and 3 are great and 1 is NOT, if I have to cull any, she's 1st on the list. I also have 2 EE's that are very friendly.

If you just want that many, I would recommend you visit some local farm/feed stores quickly and you can buy baby chics for $2-3 bucks and might already be sexed for you (90% or lower accuracy, but better than nothing). It's a seasonal thing and it might be too late, but, I've had good luck so far with it.

I have to Agree with the Buff Orpington.
thumbsup.gif
and Silkies

I have astrolorps, EE, Partridge Rock (she's a loner), Barred Rock (the leader and head Cicada eater), Mille Fleur D'uccle (very sweet but squawky when picked up) and my Silkies are very friendly.

Out of all them - my Buff Orpington from the time she was a week old always greets me and wants to be pet or picked up. she is too sweet.

Back
Top Bottom