Help! Serious impacted/sour crop problems

GardenChickens

In the Brooder
May 9, 2015
I noticed about 3 days ago that my chicken has crop problems. She is very lethargic, watery poop and acting odd in general. I felt her crop and it feels quite doughy and has not been emptying overnight. I have put Apple vinegar in her water, given her oil, taken away food for 24 hours and nothing's happening even after 2-3 days. I got her to throw up a little and it had a very strong and horrible smell, however only juices came out and a clump in her crop is not budging. I'm really confused because her crop feels like it is impacted rip (very doughy) but then it also has the sour crop aspect because it is really smelly. I have been massaging her regularly and she is drinking but nothing is moving.i also gave her plain yoghurt so that she gets some probiotics. What else can I do??? I'm starting to consider surgery but that's really expensive and my vet isn't really specialized in chickens...would her crop work normally after that? Please help, I'm getting very desperate!

Last edited:
I fed a hen with severe sour crop two stool softener tablets (squeeze them into a needle free syringe) a day, then helped her throw up every few hours by holding her upside down and massaging the crop. Between doing that and stool softener the hardened mass went away. Took about 4 or 5 days of treatment.

Back
Top Bottom