HELP! Severely Swollen Earlobe w/ Bloody Lesion *Graphic Pics*

NeeleysAVLChicks

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Leicester, NC
Hi guys, so I woke up to find one of my BR girls, Eleanor, with a huge swollen earlobe with a bloody lesion on the back side of it. I held her for awhile yesterday and I know for sure that this wasn't there when I locked them up. I've cleaned it off with saline solution and covered it with Neosporin. I have her isolated, gave her some plain yogurt/layer crumble/Poly-Vit-Sol drops/blueberries and put Duramycin in her water with some vitamins & electrolytes. When I cleaned off the caked blood, there is some yellowy, cheesy looking stuff in the lesion. Also, though the bottom two thirds of her comb is bright red, the top third is purple and cool to the touch. Rest of info and photos below.

What do you think is going on?? What else should I do for her?

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
LF Barred Rock, 8 months old, approx. 5 lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Aside from the swollen earlobe and lesion, she is acting completely normal, has an appetite, is eating and drinking normally, eyes look bright, no nasal discharge, sneezing, etc. Comb is bright red, except for the very tips which have a purple hue to them.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Awoke this morning to find her earlobe swollen and oozing from sore, wasn't like that last night. Other hens could of pecked at it causing the bleeding.

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Bleeding from lesion on earlobe, earlobe severely swollen

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I have no idea, could possibly be a spider bite?

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Eating and drinking normally.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poop looks normal.

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Cleaned wound, applied Neosporin. Have her isolated with Duramycin in her water in case of infection, with vitamins and electrolytes, plain yogurt/layer crumble/blueberry/vitamin slurry

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat myself.

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

Sorry about the crappy cellphone pics, of course my camera decides today to quit working.

You can also see her purplish comb.
0825000818.jpg

You can kind of see the yellowy stuff here:
0825000820.jpg

0825000819.jpg

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Shavings/hay

Hello! One of my girls got pecked on her earlobe and it looked like it was on its way to being swollen like yours. I dabben Neosporin (without pain reliever...very important) on it for two days and it looks great now.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply, glad your girl got better!

Unfortunately, I had a second BR hen whose earlobe was swollen this morning, so I've determined that its actually a respiratory illness, not a bite, wound, etc.

How is a swollen ear lobe a respiratory illness?
hmm.png
To me, this looks like an abscess. The yellow is pus draining out. I'd apply warm compresses to aid in the drainage and keep it from scabbing until the abscess drains out. And apply neosporin after cleaning, of course.
I work with dogs, predominantly and see abscesses all the time and treat them often. So, perhaps in chicken world an abscess isn't an abscess.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom