Help sex 5 week welsh harlequin

lalahope2018

Hatching
May 24, 2024
Would anyone be able to attempt in helping me see if I have a drake or hen? The duckling pictures are from when my WH was only a week old. When I go to pick the WH up it is very very loud! And I believe it is quacking and not the raspy sound. But when it is just walking about sometimes it makes like a squeak noise I don’t really know how to describe it 🤦🏻‍♀️

Attachments

• IMG_0820.png
    IMG_0820.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0755.jpeg
    IMG_0755.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0866.jpeg
    IMG_0866.jpeg
    755 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0867.jpeg
    IMG_0867.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 7
Your description sounds like a girl to me. Girls get a big voice change at around 3 - 4 weeks and are quite loud, whereas boys keep their baby peep and don’t get their raspy voice until 8 - 10 weeks.
A video would be best for us to gender for you, though, yes.

First, I believe you have a Golden 300, not a Welsh Harlequin. If so, black means drake, brown, a hen. It is hard to tell from your photos though. It would be easier if you posted a video. Here is my 3 1/2 week old girl just starting to quack. Sometimes she sounds like I stepped on my dog’s squeaky toy.
I was almost going to agree with you after looking up a golden 300 and then I was out looking at the ducks today and the WH has the white feathers starting to come in more! It’s crazy how quickly that happened!!

Your description sounds like a girl to me. Girls get a big voice change at around 3 - 4 weeks and are quite loud, whereas boys keep their baby peep and don’t get their raspy voice until 8 - 10 weeks.
A video would be best for us to gender for you, though, yes.
I will keep trying on the video! I swear it’s like everytime I do they go quiet 😆 and in the big inclosure now it’s a little harder to wrangle them haha

I was almost going to agree with you after looking up a golden 300 and then I was out looking at the ducks today and the WH has the white feathers starting to come in more! It’s crazy how quickly that happened!!
It possibly could be a Silver Appleyard but Welsh Harlequin ducklings do not look like yours. They are yellow with the tips of the down shaded dark. Only Appleyards and Golden 300s have the Mohawk.

😯 that is good to know!! The lovely lady that had given us all of our ducks had bought her hatching eggs online. She told us the breeds. We were given the WH (or what we thought) the acona, and the Cayuga (which after looking at it now I believe is a blue/black Swedish duck?) They may have given her the wrong hatching eggs 🙃! We are just hoping we either have all female or only 1 drake! I have fallen in love with my ducks and I would hate to have to give any up 🥲

Attachments

• IMG_0888.jpeg
    IMG_0888.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom