Help sex my ambiguous Cream Legbar day-old

Sorry for the late reply... Im all new to this so dont quote me on wrong information... I got told this lovely hen was a 'cream legbar' but having gone onto a cream legbar forum i thought she was much lighter than the cream variety- can you help tell me what she is?! Shes such a lovely hen! Probally got some cross in her though! Thanks :)

Is the second pic from when she was little? And do you have a profile pic at all? I'm so sorry but I can't tell much form your first pic.

Is the second pic from when she was little? And do you have a profile pic at all? I'm so sorry but I can't tell much form your first pic.
Its the mother hen Im asking about because someone told me she was a silver legbar but ive been told theyre extinct!!
barnie.gif
Any help would be much appreciated x

she looks like one of the cream legbar hybrids, there are a lot of them around and they vary immensely in how they look, some could almost pass as pure clbs, some look like welsummers with a crest.
They go by names such as skyline, jasmine, columbine and Cotswold legbar. Very pretty back garden layers :)

Yes, don't breed it. Some strains of Cream Legbar have lost their autosexing ability due to breeding birds like this. If you sell or give it away, tell the folks it's a mixed laying hen to be sure it's out of the C. Legbar gene pool. Mixed cockerel if male.

How are they as broodies/moms?
She was okay. She went broody on some silkie eggs and looked after the eggs great! She went a bit thin but i always made sure to feed her by hand to make she ate something (presume this is normal in most birds?!)
Unfortunatly there was only one chick that hatched. (not sure the silkies eggs were all fertile) She looked after it well for 7 days and was very protective, though on the 8th day we found the chick dead round the side of the coop in the cold :( We think it had wandered off and got lost and too cold. After this i turned to an incubator and have successfully hatched lots of her crossed chicks for our own use! Jennie

Back
Top Bottom