Help sex my ambiguous Cream Legbar day-old

thought so just wasn't sure because of the stripes and brown on head.
The large head spot is indicative of male. The striping is not clear as well as the Eye liner appears to be muted or broken.

The wing feathers that are coming in show more white/grey which is also typical of male feathering though does happen on some females.

It is still possibly female given everything but if so the autosexing is poor so is not a good breeding candidate.

Female headspots when they occur are usually small and contained inside the head stripe. this one looks large and obliterates the continuation of the head stripes.

Generally speaking females are clearly marked males have varying degrees of striping but always looks washed out when it occurs.

males have a large headspot females non or small contained headspot.

Even though not mentioned in SOP the female eyeliner is more pronounced and continuous

Even lighter colored females have more defined striping.

The large head spot is indicative of male. The striping is not clear as well as  the Eye liner appears to be muted or broken.

The wing feathers that are coming in show more white/grey which is also typical of male feathering though does happen on some females.

It is still possibly female given everything but if so the autosexing is poor so is not a good breeding candidate.

Female headspots when they occur are usually small and contained inside the head stripe. this one looks large and obliterates the continuation of the head stripes.

Generally speaking females are clearly marked males have varying degrees of striping but always looks washed out when it occurs.

males have a large headspot females non or small contained headspot.

Even though not mentioned in SOP the female eyeliner is more pronounced and continuous

Even lighter colored females have more defined striping. 
thanks

We have had a clutch of 7 hatch and are a little confused two. Two are definitely boys, two are definitely girls but we're not sure about the rest! They have head spots, so does that automatically mean boys?

We have had a clutch of 7 hatch and are a little confused two. Two are definitely boys, two are definitely girls but we're not sure about the rest! They have head spots, so does that automatically mean boys?

[/QUOTE]
No if the headspot is small and contained withing the V headstripe it is most likely a girl.

If you see defined dorsal striping as well it is a good sign I think at least one of the 2 darker ones is a girl

Thanks - posted the pic again as I didn't post it properly the first time. People on different forums are seeing different things! There are two that seem to have characteristics of both male and female so I guess time will tell!

Last edited:

Thanks - posted the pic again as I didn't post it properly the first time. People on different forums are seeing different things! There are two that seem to have characteristics of both male and female so I guess time will tell!
Do you happen to have individual close up pics by chance.? The 2 with the large head splotches are male the 2 lighter ones with no real visible head spots are female. The 2 dark ones are a bit harder, but due to the color tone with what looks like gray tones to them, Im going to say male also on the 2 of them.

Last edited:
Here you go:

Ambiguous chick number 1:
IMG_0450_zpsdccirjtg.jpg

IMG_0452_zps4l6ytctq.jpg

Chick Number 2:
IMG_0448_zpssawpdmk8.jpg

IMG_0449_zpsfuce4sbd.jpg

They are both more grey than the two we have that are definitely pullets, but darker than the three we have that are definitely boys (if that makes sense!).

Back
Top Bottom