Help sexing cream legbar chick

GopherGirl88

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2019
673DC38A-6D60-4DA7-827A-46FC69AA53E9.jpeg
ED6E81C3-6D29-40DA-A0AF-F5A5A084B338.jpeg
I know cream legbars are autosexing, so this should be really easy, but I’ve got a rather odd looking chick that’s very yellow! Help appreciated!!!

Attachments

• 615CE28B-E4BF-4F95-ABA7-11E7C3445BA2.jpeg
    615CE28B-E4BF-4F95-ABA7-11E7C3445BA2.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for your response! I ordered three chicks (2 pullets, 1 cockerel) from a breeder who said they were purebred cream legbars. They are now eight months old and all three of them look good and the eggs they’ve laid are blue. The four chicks in the picture are offspring of the original three.

Our Easter Hatch is underway and so far we have one cockerel, one pullet, and two odd looking chicks that are very yellow.

The odd looking yellow chicks are White Legbars. In the case of our chicks, the parents are all colored (cream or gold crele) but the offspring are white due to a recessive white gene.

There are some breeders in the USA that have gone to exclusively white Legbar flocks. They are breeding white cockerels to white hens and 100% of the offspring come out as yellow chicks. Some of the white legbar breeders are pretty good at sexing the White Legbars. The white variety is not a clear cut and dried thing like the Cream and Gold Crele varieties are but I think the yellow one that you have is a pullet. The other three are very clear. The one with the big white spot on the top of its head is male and the other two are pullets.

Last edited:
Our Easter Hatch is underway and so far we have one cockerel, one pullet and two odd looking chicks that are very yellow.

The odd looking yellow chicks are White Legbars. In the case of our chicks that parent are all colored (cream or gold crele in color) but the offspring will be white due to a recessive white gene.

There are some breeding in the USA that have gone to exclusively white Legbar flocks. They are breeding white cockerels to white hens and 100% of the offspring come out yellow. Some of white legbar breeders are pretty good at sexing the White Legbars. The white variety is not a clear cut and dried thing like the Cream and Gold Crele varieties are but I think the yellow one that you have is a pullet. The other three are very clear. The one with the big white spot on the top of its head is male and the other two are pullets.
Ok

Back
Top Bottom