Help sexing Light Sussex Please

KaiparaGirl

Hatching
Jan 24, 2024
Hi everyone. I just purchased these chickens. When I picked them up yesterday he said one may be a boy. Im ok with that but would like confirmation. How do I tell which sex they are? He said they are between 7-10 months old, thank you

IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

Pullets! At that stage we commonly look for shiny hackles and big red comes and wattles - that's if it's a rooster. If a hen it will have dull rounded feathers and a smaller comb and more pink in color.

Those are pullets! Chickens can typically be sexed at around six weeks old if they are of a normal-feathering breed (meaning that they do not feather quickly or slowly). At that time, a chick will have almost all of their feathers in and their down will be replaced. This is when you should start trying to sex them, which is very easy if you have done it a lot. Cockerels will have pointed hackles and pointed saddles, and they will develop sickle feathers that females do not have. Pullets will have rounded feathers instead of pointed ones, and their comb and wattles will be smaller and usually less bright than that of a male. A cockerel will have much thicker legs than a pullet. And don't let spurs fool you-all chickens, no matter their breed, gender or age, have spurs! They start out as spur nubs, which are circular bumps at the back of the legs, and develop further as they age. I have a Welsummer hen whose spurs are much longer compared to any of my cockerels. Another thing that confuses many beginner chicken-keepers is the way a chicken's feathers will sheen-but don't let this fool you either, because all chickens' feathers will sheen, it is simply sunlight reflection and does not indicate gender!

Back
Top Bottom