Help sexing my 4 week old Delaware

birdgirl999

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2020
Hi all!

I've searched through other's post with Delaware chicks and have seen how people are sexing based on the amount of smut and the presence of barred feathers. My Delaware "Della" has some speckling on her back but is mostly white. The few black feathers she has don't appear to be barred.

She has a comb, but it's small and not red. No wattles developed yet. She's 4.5 weeks. I just found out my buff is a roo and city ordinance prohibits them where I live, so I'd really hate to "lose" two
20200629_195226.jpg

20200701_090254.jpg

20200630_185426.jpg

Will do! He/she does chest bump with my buff, who we're pretty sure is a roo. so that's causing me some concern but I'll update in a couple weeks

The chest bumping has nothing to do with gender. It's about establishing dominance and the pecking order.

x2 on the chest bumping, I have 10, 3 week old pullets that chase each other around and chest bump so that is perfectly normal for that to happen with either gender. And I think that is a pullet.

4 weeks is to young. Update in 2 or 3 weeks.
Posted some new 6 week old pictures. The color of her comb is definitely lighter than my buff orpington but is smaller and she doesn't have much, if any, wattles developing.

Leaning toward "Wait and see" approach anyway. Whereas, the buff's gotta go soon...

20200714_093406.jpg

Back
Top Bottom