Help Sexing RIR's?

phishintrip007

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
I bought 4 pullets a few months ago, 2 RIR's and 2 Barred Rocks. So they are about 20 weeks old now. Lately I have noticed one of the RIR's to be a little aggressive and a little larger (although the RIR's seem more aggressive than the BR's). So basically, I think it is a rooster!! If so, it's getting the Axe and I'm gonna scoop up a Australorp from somewhere.

What says BC? Hen or Rooster?

And just for reference, here is a couple pics of the other RIR which I feel pretty sure is a hen,

Weird thing is I have never heard the rooster in question crow or anything. He doesnt sound any different than the other 3. Is it possible he just isn't old enough?

Thanks for any help!!

I bought 4 pullets a few months ago, 2 RIR's and 2 Barred Rocks. So they are about 20 weeks old now. Lately I have noticed one of the RIR's to be a little aggressive and a little larger (although the RIR's seem more aggressive than the BR's). So basically, I think it is a rooster!! If so, it's getting the Axe and I'm gonna scoop up a Australorp from somewhere.

What says BC? Hen or Rooster?

And just for reference, here is a couple pics of the other RIR which I feel pretty sure is a hen,

Weird thing is I have never heard the rooster in question crow or anything. He doesnt sound any different than the other 3. Is it possible he just isn't old enough?

Thanks for any help!!

the top one is definitely a roo. hens dont get the green tail feathers. and hes getting his sicle feathers in. give him time he will crow

Last edited:
defiantly the top is a rooster, and austraulorps are wonderful hens.
the one you think is a hen is defiantly a hen,
i had alot of trouble sexing my rirs, but then they were ALL roosters so now i know... haha

Back
Top Bottom