HELP! She is all fluffed and I don't know why???

Toi-toi

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Central MA
Quote:
I originally posted on "raising chicks" but moved here...

She was playing outside yesterday and day before. Normally she is in brooder with other 5 SS.
She is fed with medicated chick food.
Last time I saw her poop was normal poop.
She is not acting herself. Her neck is short and chubby.
Normally she has long neck and looking all over the place.

"Fluffiness" and lethargy are are generally signs of some kind of illness.

Are the last couple of days the only days she has played outside or has she been playing or a week or two outside? If it has been a week or two, i would go ahead and assume cocci is the problem and medicate the water with Corid.

If not, we need more details about her condition. Sometimes an impacted crop will cause similar behavior.

They were playing outside since they are about 3weeks old. So about 2weeks.
Not everyday but when nice and sunny out.

When she jumped on me, her feet were cold.

Medicate water with corid??? What is corid???

Corid is a treatment for coccidia, which is a common illness in young chickens when exposed the ground or other ways. Corid can be purchased at TSC (it is a cattle medication) and put 1tsp per gallon of drinking water.

Thanks.
I will try tomorrow.... Agway should carry too??

I separated from others just in case.
I googled about coccida a little.
I don't see diarrhea but she is still fluffy.
I hope she is OK... I'm sad...
hit.gif

Toi toi, when treated right away, most chickens will recover just fine and then be resistant to the protozoa for the rest of their lives. Try not to worry.

I usually get Corid from my feed store. I've never been to an Ag-way, but i would expect they carry some kind of Amprolium if not Corid. Just remember, it's usually labeled for cattle, but it's the same stuff.

Oh, and be sure to treat the whole flock, not just the one who's fluffy.

punkinpeep,

They are on medicated feed, but it's OK to treat them??
They don't get double dose kinda stuff???

Oh GOD, please help my poor little chickie...

toi toi

The amount of medication in the feed is really miniscule. It is meant to help the chicks develop resistance to the cocci protozoa - not to treat. No, you will not overmedicate them by giving them Corid while on medicated feed. The liquid amprolium that you'll put in their water is only for 5 days. one to two teaspoons per gallon. That's a treatment dose. The medication in the feed is super tiny.

Back
Top Bottom