HELP! She looks sick!

chickenjane82

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
We came home from the Mother Earth News fair today and our little chicken Tiny seems lethargic and sick with real runny poop.
She seemed fine and spunk yesterday.
What should I do!?

Sorry, I haven't had this problem, but for other problems I have needed help with, I entered key words into the search on this website and found many other threads that had previously addressed my issues. Try "sick bird with runny poo" for starters in the search, and then try rewording if that doesn't work.

Im looking at other posts. I dont know... cocci?? Would that come on suddenly? Im still reading so not sure...

Im looking at other posts. I dont know... cocci?? Would that come on suddenly? Im still reading so not sure...
Chickens with coccidiosis defintely can look fine one day and very ill the next. I had a 3 year old hen looked fine in the morning, was hiding in the nest box by afternoon and dead that night. She hide her illness until she was so sick she just couldn't do it anymore.

It wouldn't hurt to treat her, and quickly. By the time they show symptoms like this, if that's what it is, you don't have much time.

I'm not saying that's for sure what this chicken has but it certainly won't hurt to treat and rule it out.

Chickens with coccidiosis defintely can look fine one day and very ill the next. I had a 3 year old hen looked fine in the morning, was hiding in the nest box by afternoon and dead that night. She hide her illness until she was so sick she just couldn't do it anymore.

It wouldn't hurt to treat her, and quickly. By the time they show symptoms like this, if that's what it is, you don't have much time.

I'm not saying that's for sure what this chicken has but it certainly won't hurt to treat and rule it out.
Im reading Sulmet? Thats what I want?
Im trying to find someone that has some right now
:(

I can NOT lose this hen
hit.gif

I prefer Corid, much gentler on the birds. You can use Sulmet, it's just very harsh on their systems, something they don't need if they do have coccidiosis.

As far as the Corid, I get the 20% water soluble powder from the feed store just because that's what they have, it seems to be the easiest to find. It is labled for calves. It also comes in liquid form if you can find it. I don't have the dose for the liquid but the 20% powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days. Treat the whole flock.

Edited to add:

Is she showing any other symptoms at all? Anything respiratory sounding? Could she be egg bound? There's certainly other possiblities for her but I'd treat for coccidiosis to be on the safe side and go from there.

Last edited:
I prefer Corid, much gentler on the birds. You can use Sulmet, it's just very harsh on their systems, something they don't need if they do have coccidiosis.

As far as the Corid, I get the 20% water soluble powder from the feed store just because that's what they have, it seems to be the easiest to find. It is labled for calves. It also comes in liquid form if you can find it. I don't have the dose for the liquid but the 20% powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days. Treat the whole flock.

Edited to add:

Is she showing any other symptoms at all? Anything respiratory sounding? Could she be egg bound? There's certainly other possiblities for her but I'd treat for coccidiosis to be on the safe side and go from there.
No respiratory sounds... eyes look clear. I dont know anything about being egg bound, but I did notice there is no egg from her today.

I cant get anywhere until tomorrow. I was hoping someone I knew had sulmet to get tonight. Ill ask around for Corid too.

Back
Top Bottom