help! shipped hen not moving

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gilchicken, Jan 15, 2015.

1. gilchicken

gilchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    San Bernardino
    I just got two gray silkies from Alabama (I live in California) and one of then is not getting up.. Her legs are stiff all the way to the front. . Her head is in between her legs. She hasn't eat or drink anything. . I gave her some vitamin water with a syringe, but I don't know what else to do! ... any suggestions? .

2. gilchicken

gilchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    San Bernardino
    This is her when we picked her up at 10:30am..

[​IMG]

This is her now. .
    [​IMG]

3. bigbuddha09

bigbuddha09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    nampa idaho
    look up wry neck this could be whats happening i believe they give a dosed down version of baby vitamins when this happens but i can only remember what i once read.

4. bigbuddha09

bigbuddha09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    nampa idaho
    i would also examine for head injuries since silkies have an open spot on their skull

5. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York
    Hi! Can we PM? Your hen is not looking good. She may be dehydrated and would benefit from sub cutaneous fluids and tube feeding. Her electrolytes may be out of whack which could affect her balance ANS muscle control. I may have some suggestions for you. Regards, Tina

6. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York
    If you have Red Cell, Poultry Cell or Rooster Booster, you may consider giving her some via a syringe with no needle. Folks have found it helpful when their Silkies are battling wry neck, are weakened or are deficient in nutrients.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by