Help!! should hatched chicks still be as wet as when they hatched last

dipence71

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2009
Murrayville, IL
I had 2 chicks hatch last night between 10 -10:30pm and at 7am they are still as wet as last night. Is this normal? or is my humidity too high? It reads between 70-80 got as high as 87 when they were hatching.
only 3 out of 18 (19 one was clear at 10 days) hatched so far and one doesn't look too good but could have hatched right before I checked at 7 so will give the little one some time. Also there is green stuff on the bottom of the incubator. Poop???
Saw the first two hatch out and looked good, third one hatched while I was sleeping.
I am just worried they are still as wet as last night and no more pips or anything from the other 15...
It is day 23/24

Yeah your hatching humidity was too high. Leave the little fellers in there, let them dry, they should be dry by tonight. Maybe by then someone else will hatch for you?

Wow, your humidity got high! Mine only got to about 43, even as chicks hatched :0D I'm sure once you vent your bator more, they will dry soon. Anyway, I am about to post about 'sticky chicks', so stay tuned since you and I both were late hatchers!

Well gut feeling took over and I intervened and I am grateful I did, out of the 18 in the bater only 3 hatched and 3 developed but were dead in the shell. they died relatively soon as they were fully developed but not absorbed yolks and one had its intestines on the outside. One had blood all around it. So all in all 12 never developed at all so I am guessing they were not even fertile.
So I am glad I went with my gut so I can now get the wet sticky chicks dry and in the brooder. I am sad about the others but at least I have 3 chicks.

THat's exactly what I'm telling myself, too....at least I have some that survived in spite of the fact that I made mistakes :0)

Back
Top Bottom