Help should I do meat birds?

Quote:
They need to be in the brooder for at least three weeks. I put a heat lamp in my tractor too, if it's going to be cold. You can butcher them anywhere from 6-12 weeks old, with the most common age being 8 weeks. You run the risk of losses beyond that, but you do get small turkey sized birds. Personally, I don't feed medicated feed- you should easily be able to find it if you choose. My thinking is that if I'm adding chemicals, why not just buy chicken from the store? Not to mention, it's not a magic bullet- you may still lose birds even if they eat medicated food or are vaccinated.

i kept mine til they were 14 weeks and they were 2 9 lb females and a 10 and 11 pound male.
roll.png

oh yea that is dressed
lol.png
big_smile.png

Last edited:
no it never phased me to do that if you want a picture of it processed i can get you one we kept the largest for a holiday.
the one with the feed trough it is the normal size of a feed trough (the metal thing in the first pic).

Last edited:
I ate my first bird tonight, I let it soak in salted water for 3 days, I froze the others and ate a fresh bird tonight. I baked it w/ stuffing and with a bit of water in pan and made great gravy. It was wonderful tasting. Despite how dirty and smelly they were worth it. Ready to do it again!

Back
Top Bottom