Help! Should I get rid of rooster?

Orpington's certainly are a friendly breed. Just don't stand between them and a slice of fresh baked bread, then they're like a pack of sharks! :D I'm hoping at some point to hatch a Jersey Giant / Orpington rooster!
Oh for sure! My Orpingtons get pretty wild over food! I have to stand outside the fence when feeding them or I'd get swarmed.

Its really a shame b/c I know the feeling when you like a rooster but b/c he has shown aggressive behaviour, you lose that trust. When my grandkids come over the rooster is penned. he is gorgeous and is good with his hens (he's RIR) but I am warchful where he is and where I am b/c I wount even walk in front if him (he jumoed hard on me a couple if times from behind). The thing here is your three year old--he comes first. At first my feeling about your situation is to find him a home but he is likely to show aggression to his new people and flock. If you have someone that can cull him humanely that would be the best thing...at least a good meal. Good luck to you...I am sure there are many goid roosters out there but remember yiu dont need them fir the delicious eggs.

I need your help! I have a 5 month old Brahma cockerel who has been displaying some usual signs of dominance. He dances up to me and my 3 year old. He has pecked me when I’ve been to close and just recently ran up to my kid and pecked him. I also noticed he attacked one of my hens and left a wound and she’s scared to come out of run for free range time which never happens. Weird thing is, I pick him up All the time and he always seems so easy going and nice! Generally, he is nice and fun. I really wanted to work with him and try to do anything to keep him. I’ve been trying to show him who is boss, thinking that will help. But now that he has focused in on my kid, who never bothered him before, I’m worried. It was a peck but will it get worse or can I stop it from escalating? I called a rooster sanctuary that will take him but We are devastated about it. I wish I could manage him. Should I try to work with the bird and keep my kid away? Or re home? Thank you. It’s so complicated. My kid comes first. Period. Even my kid is sad about it. Did I do anything wrong raising this rooster? Can I change anything to make it better? Is this a super aggressive bird? Would you keep him?
I have some excellent roosters of various breeds. One thing I think helps is if they are raised within a flock of chickens which includes adults. These boys come up through the ranks so to speak and learn to be respectful of the hens, other youngsters and people and pets.
Cockerels raised with only pullets their own age tend to always be at the top of the pecking order and think that is where they should stay.

Put your child FIRST priority ❤️
You can always find a nice rooster in the future:old
It has been my experience that if you identify aggressive behavior in a rooster directed at a human they can NEVER be trusted. It isn’t anything you did, just genetics. Say goodbye in whatever humane way you choose with full disclosure if re-homed. There is a gentle rooster out there somewhere if you must have one. Good luck!

I need your help! I have a 5 month old Brahma cockerel who has been displaying some usual signs of dominance. He dances up to me and my 3 year old. He has pecked me when I’ve been to close and just recently ran up to my kid and pecked him. I also noticed he attacked one of my hens and left a wound and she’s scared to come out of run for free range time which never happens. Weird thing is, I pick him up All the time and he always seems so easy going and nice! Generally, he is nice and fun. I really wanted to work with him and try to do anything to keep him. I’ve been trying to show him who is boss, thinking that will help. But now that he has focused in on my kid, who never bothered him before, I’m worried. It was a peck but will it get worse or can I stop it from escalating? I called a rooster sanctuary that will take him but We are devastated about it. I wish I could manage him. Should I try to work with the bird and keep my kid away? Or re home? Thank you. It’s so complicated. My kid comes first. Period. Even my kid is sad about it. Did I do anything wrong raising this rooster? Can I change anything to make it better? Is this a super aggressive bird? Would you keep him?
We had a similar problem with a rooster. He changed from being a very gentle guy then when our young grandson visited, he pecked him. We thought it was because he didn't know the child. But in the next few months, he started going after my husband and myself who were the people who were in constant contact with the flock of 15. If we turned our back on him, he started to come after us. When we entered the hen house to add food, he was there watching us with an evil eye so we didn't trust him. We also noticed that our 14 hens were beginning to run away from him each morning most of the time which was his "active" time and a # of the hens were beginning to lose their feathers on their backs. Advise you to put him in the pot, too! You don't want him to peck out an eye or be on a constant watch.

Safety first! Especially for your child. Please don't give away an animal you think is dangerous. Why make a problem for someone else? He'll make great soup!

We had a similar problem with a rooster. He changed from being a very gentle guy then when our young grandson visited, he pecked him. We thought it was because he didn't know the child. But in the next few months, he started going after my husband and myself who were the people who were in constant contact with the flock of 15. If we turned our back on him, he started to come after us. When we entered the hen house to add food, he was there watching us with an evil eye so we didn't trust him. We also noticed that our 14 hens were beginning to run away from him each morning most of the time which was his "active" time and a # of the hens were beginning to lose their feathers on their backs. Advise you to put him in the pot, too! You don't want him to peck out an eye or be on a constant watch.
Thanks for sharing good info! I’ve brought him to a rooster sanctuary. Miss him. He was a nice man most of the time and a lot of fun.

It has been my experience that if you identify aggressive behavior in a rooster directed at a human they can NEVER be trusted. It isn’t anything you did, just genetics. Say goodbye in whatever humane way you choose with full disclosure if re-homed. There is a gentle rooster out there somewhere if you must have one. Good luck!
Hey! I really appreciate this message. Reading your comment makes my decision more palatable. Hard not to think of what I did wrong Or if things could have changed. I sent him to a rooster sanctuary a couple of days ago.

Back
Top Bottom