Help sick 2 week old Cayuga duckling.

Tyson sather

In the Brooder
May 18, 2017
My Coop
My Coop
Sorry for the long post.

I made a rookie mistake today, I let my ducklings unsupervised in the tub. They had been swim for a good 10 minutes I went to do one thing that took 3mins. When I came back one of my little guys was spread out floating i at this point thought he was dead. I quickly picked him up to my surprise he was alive! But was responding so I did what I could and he came out of it. But now the weird part he was shaking like he was cold but couldn't walk. I put one of his mates with him and he two to steps then leap straight into the wall and stayed with his legs extended. I separated him to warm him up half hour later big improvements still couldn't walk good. Another 20 mins like nothing ever happened. So my question is what happened? What can I do to stop this from happening again?

I'm not an expert at all, but I've had ducklings die from being in the water too long, it drops body temp extremely fast, so until they're older they have to make due with a very shallow pan of water with a brick in it (so they can get out like a ladder). I had 2 escape their brooding pen today and went for a swim in the adult pond which they couldn't get out of, and one was behaving like you described. I dried him off and put him under the heat lamp, and he was fine after a few hours. My stromg suggestion is to never let them have access to wster they can't get out of on their own, they can't resist swimmimg in a big pool or tub but if they can't get out by themselves when they get cold, they'll die. So sad.

Attachments

• IMG952002.jpg
    IMG952002.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 4
:hugs

Make sure that he's dried through (maybe use a hairdryer on the lowest settings?), and try giving him a little sugared water through a syringe..... I hope he pulls through :fl.

Well he's made it through the night he seems back up to speed. He hasn't had any episodes and he's eating and drink. He is my smallest duckling I have. The rest were fine the wGdf he was they only one.

Everyone else is correct to my knowledge; I used to have the same issue with my Rouen drake when he was younger. When they're cold, they'll seize up, because they're not old enough to produce the heat they need to swim. I'm sure he'll continue to be fine, but I recommend warm water if you let them swim, and then a thorough drying within a few minutes with either a towel or a hair dryer on the lowest setting.

Okay the water was lukewarm but I did clean the tub with cold water and he tried to bath in it. At first I thought he had a neurological problem or disease.

Back
Top Bottom