Help! Sick baby chick

Jfreeman1126

Hatching
Nov 20, 2018
Two days ago I purchased 4 chicks from my local feed store. Currently they are 1 week old. I got home from work yesterday and one of my olive eggers chicks is not well. Symptoms: breathing heavily with mouth open, eyes closed, very lethargic, off balance.

I started them off with electrolyte powder in their water and non medicated starter. They have addiquate heat with enough room to move away from the heat & pine shavings.

As of now she is the only one with symptoms. I have not separated them. I've added probiotic powder to the water and a small amount of VetRx. I've been able to keep her hydrated with a dropper but she's not eating. Her symptoms don't seem to be improving.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Any advive is greatly appreciated!

If you haven't done so yet, I would definitely separate her. If she has anything contagious, it may have already passed to them, but it's still a good idea to keep her separate.

So far, it sounds like what you're doing with the water is good. Make sure to keep her hydrated. To get her to eat, you can try scrambling some eggs (cut up small). Yogurt would also be a good idea. These are more tempting than their regular food, and with the yogurt, you can try dabbing a little on the end of her beak. If she eats the yogurt, try mixing a little bit of her food in with it.

Pictures of your set up and of the chick in question would be very helpful, as well as any pictures of her poop. Does she have any bubbles around her nostrils or eyes?

Other than that, I'm not sure. Keep a close eye on the others to make sure they're not displaying any symptoms. Best of luck to you and your chick! :fl

So far the others look good, no symptoms. On day one she was doing very well, running around, eating and drinking. Her stool is a little runny but I assume it's because I'm giving her more water than anything. I haven't tried yogurt or egg yet. I'll give that a try! Also, no bubbles around the beak at all.

Back
Top Bottom