1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Sick Black Giant - unable to move, except floppy neck/head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by szilagyi, May 26, 2011.

1. szilagyi

szilagyi New Egg

Apr 17, 2008
    Hello:

I found my Black Giant on the dropping board, not moving except for her head/neck. She was moving around just fine when I closed the birds up last night, though. She's completely limp, but for her head which she keeps trying to turn up (backwards.) The only other thing I've noticed with her is that her back feathers right above her tail have been dull and some have been breaking for a little while now. I assumed that was a molting thing? I moved her to some softer bedding, but she's not able to stand. I will try to give her some water, and see if I can make her comfortable. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I would not waste any time and get started with a molasses flush in case it is poisoning. Then consider putting her on a vitamin supplement! Best of luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by