1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help sick chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Loranbama, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Loranbama

Loranbama New Egg

Apr 26, 2007
    A friend just sent me a box of baby chicks from a hatchery. I picked it up earlier today at the PO. One baby is droopy and had bubbles coming from her mouth. She would put her head up high like she was trying to swallow them. SHe acts sickly, head drooping and too quick to appear to "sleep".

What is wrong with her? We have noticed possibly one more like her. What can we do?

BTW I have them moved into their temp brooder with food and water.

2. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    You could add a tablespoon of sugar to the waterer, sometimes that perks them up. Then try dipping their beaks into the water and watching to see if they will drink it.

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    wow, please keep us posted on the little chick's progress. so sorry sure hope she gets better with the sugar water.

4. Loranbama

Loranbama New Egg

Apr 26, 2007
    They both seem to be doing better. All 28 chicks are eating and drinking really well on their own.

I think those two may have drank too much and maybe some was coming back up?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by