help!! sick chick!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erdman818, Feb 27, 2014.

1. erdman818

erdman818 Just Hatched

Feb 16, 2014
    North Central Iowa
    I have 9 5 day old chicks, checked on them-fresh food and water this morning and everyone was running around fine...came home this afternoon and one chick is just completely limp-shes breathing and will open her eyes once in awhile but not much more than that...any advice???

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would get some electrolytes (SaveAChick packets for water, Pedialyte, or make some homemade) and start dipping it's beak into the water. Make sure that your brooder has a warm section about 90 degrees on the floor with a cooler section. Are these chicks you hatched or were they shipped or from a feed store? Make sure she isn't trampled by the others. Recipe for electrolytes (leave out salt substitute/potassium if you don't have any, and can make smaller portions):

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION

1/2 teaspoon salt substitute
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 gallon water​

1 person likes this.
  3. erdman818

erdman818 Just Hatched

Feb 16, 2014
    North Central Iowa
    thank you so much I will get mixing that up asap! I bought them from a hatchery a few miles away, and I have her out of the brooder with the other chicks with her own heat light!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by