Help! Sick Chicken. Do not know what to do?

Dec 7, 2020
Hi and Happy Easter. I have a Red Link Chicken, Daisy, who has started to act weird. On Friday, when I collected eggs there was one large egg and nothing else. I did not think nothing was wrong and one red link and my silkie were taking a break. The next day I got one red link and one silkie. Later that afternoon, Daisy began to act weird. She would stand in the coop weirdly and fluffed out. I looked it up and thought that she may be egg bound. We covered her vent with vasoline, gave her a nice warm bath, dried her off and kept her in the top part of the coop with food and water so she would lay an egg and stop hurting. She seemed back to normal after her bath and kept bawking, so we let her out. I noticed in her poop from being up top what looked like dead worms! I gave all the chickens some food grade diatomaceous earth and dusted around the coop with it. This morning when I check on her poop, no worms! (Yay!) She was also acting normal, escaping her run. But later around 2-3 pm, she started acting the same way and she pooped out a weird yellow-white liquid poop. I looked it up again and it sounded like vent gleet, so I gave her another warm bath and cleaned off the yellowy liquid around her vent with dawn soap and rinsed it off. I dryed her off and put her back in the coop, but she is still acting weird. I also have not seen any more worms in her poop. Is there anything else I can do. I really do not want to lose her! Please Help! Any advice is appreciated!

She is not a year old yet, started laying around the end of 2020. She had no shell eggs until we switched to a laying food and has been laying beautiful brown eggs since now. She has also laid a duck size egg before and had no problems a few months ago.

Crushed oyster shell is sold in most feed stores in the chicken aisle. You can give her a calcium tablet with vitamin D3, or a Tums orally for a few days for a quick calcium boost to see if her eggs become normal. She may have a calcium deficiency but a reproductive issue may also be possible. Are you feeding a layer feed?

Crushed oyster shell is sold in most feed stores in the chicken aisle. You can give her a calcium tablet with vitamin D3, or a Tums orally for a few days for a quick calcium boost to see if her eggs become normal. She may have a calcium deficiency but a reproductive issue may also be possible. Are you feeding a layer feed?
Okay Thanks! All the hens are eating a layer food and I give them dry, crushed eggshells sometimes for treats to help since the same hen had this problem before when she first started to lay. I have never had a problem with my other red link or silkie before. Are oyster shells better than egg shells?

Okay Thanks! All the hens are eating a layer food and I give them dry, crushed eggshells sometimes for treats to help since the same hen had this problem before when she first started to lay. I have never had a problem with my other red link or silkie before. Are oyster shells better than egg shells?
Both are good, but the occasional eggshell as a treat probably isn't enough. Having a dish of oyster shells available at all times allows them to eat what they need when they need it. Oyster shells are cheap and can be found at any feed store.

Both are good, but the occasional eggshell as a treat probably isn't enough. Having a dish of oyster shells available at all times allows them to eat what they need when they need it. Oyster shells are cheap and can be found at any feed store.
Thanks! Just went out and bought some today!

Back
Top Bottom