Help! Sick Chicken

Here is an update. Out of my 10 chickens I have left, two have sores that have scabbed over and their feathers are beginning to grow back. I have them in separate kennels in the garage until they are more healed. I am applying neosporin and Blu Kote to them daily. they seem to be doing well. I have have two other chickens that are missing feathers but I didn't see any wounds. As I only have three kennels for separation, I left them in the coop with the other chickens and will check in on them to make sure they don't get any more hurt. Yesterday, I was watching my flock for a while and I think I have found the culprit of the pecking. I could tell she was the bully as there were two times where she had one of the other hens on the ground. I also saw her several times get part of a feather and consume it! Since I have one extra kennel I have put the bully of the flock in that kennel and will keep her in there for at least a week. I am hoping that a week's worth of separation will cure her aggressiveness. I was also thinking about getting pinless peepers for when I put her back in the flock. I really don't want to cull her so I hope separation & the peepers will do the trick.

Here is an update. Out of my 10 chickens I have left, two have sores that have scabbed over and their feathers are beginning to grow back. I have them in separate kennels in the garage until they are more healed. I am applying neosporin and Blu Kote to them daily. they seem to be doing well. I have have two other chickens that are missing feathers but I didn't see any wounds. As I only have three kennels for separation, I left them in the coop with the other chickens and will check in on them to make sure they don't get any more hurt. Yesterday, I was watching my flock for a while and I think I have found the culprit of the pecking. I could tell she was the bully as there were two times where she had one of the other hens on the ground. I also saw her several times get part of a feather and consume it! Since I have one extra kennel I have put the bully of the flock in that kennel and will keep her in there for at least a week. I am hoping that a week's worth of separation will cure her aggressiveness. I was also thinking about getting pinless peepers for when I put her back in the flock. I really don't want to cull her so I hope separation & the peepers will do the trick.
I am having the same frustrating issues with my flock. Did the separation of the aggressive bullies help ultimately?

Back
Top Bottom