Help sick chicken

Eden83_haaretz

Songster
Jan 5, 2021
Mexico, Puebla
I have a chicken that constantly sneezes, she's teary eyed and I can tell she's congested. Haven't seen any weird droppings, or lack of appetite; she's very active. I'm guessing she has a cold? What treatment would be recommended here?

If chicken is cold make sure they have straw but if the eyes are watery or foamy make sure there is clean water and clean coop. Also there are eye drops that can be used to wipe their eyes when they are tearful

She could have a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis or mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) IB virus lasts about a month and usually spreads to other chickens who begin sneezing. MG can be treated with antibiotics such as Tylosin or oxytetracycline. Do you see any bubbles or foam in one eye, or any swelling around an eyelid? How is your coop ventilation? Is there any dust or ammonia odor? Does she sneeze mostly during feeding or all of the time?

She could have a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis or mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) IB virus lasts about a month and usually spreads to other chickens who begin sneezing. MG can be treated with antibiotics such as Tylosin or oxytetracycline. Do you see any bubbles or foam in one eye, or any swelling around an eyelid? How is your coop ventilation? Is there any dust or ammonia odor? Does she sneeze mostly during feeding or all of the time?
Yes she does have bubbles in one eye. I'd say coop ventilation is ok, but it does have dust most of the time it has a cement floor, but they only sleep in it, they roam free the whole day (there's a lot of dust. She sneezes when she's walking, not when she's laying around. Thanks for your help 🤗

I just noticed her breath sort of smells like meat, never noticed that before. Her crop is full and does empty normally.

So I gave her the oxytetracycline and a dose of a vaccine for Newcastle and avian colera. The teary eyes with bubbles stopped, but now she's lethargic, downcast, almost sleepy, she just pooped liquid with a bit of solid (normal color). Could she just be tired from the medicine? I'm worried now, she's my favorite chicken 😢

The bubbles in the eye may come and go. Clean it with saline when needed. The oxytetracycline may treat symptoms of MG, which can cause bubbles in the eye and sneezing. MG is a contagious disease that stays in the flock for the life of your chickens. They all become carriers and it can also pass through hatching eggs to offspring.

Dust is never good for them to breathe in. It can be hard to eliminate all of it, especially since they have a lot of feather dust. But breathing a lot of dust can damage the air sacs.

The bubbles in the eye may come and go. Clean it with saline when needed. The oxytetracycline may treat symptoms of MG, which can cause bubbles in the eye and sneezing. MG is a contagious disease that stays in the flock for the life of your chickens. They all become carriers and it can also pass through hatching eggs to offspring.

Dust is never good for them to breathe in. It can be hard to eliminate all of it, especially since they have a lot of feather dust. But breathing a lot of dust can damage the air sacs.
So what would be the symptoms that would help differentiate between MG and IB? :(

IB usually does not cause swollen eyelids and bubbles in the eyes. MG usually does. They are fairly similar otherwise. IB lasts about a month, and the chicken may be a carrier for up to a year. MG symptoms can come back again, and survivors are carriers for life. Fewer birds may actuall get symptoms, whereas most of the flock will eventually get IB over weeks or months.

Back
Top Bottom