Help!! Sick chicken!!

IMG_20230902_161901_291.jpg
here is the one I have up at the house. The other one's faces don't look abnormal, do you want pictures of them too? The other 3 down at the coop with their eyes sealed look just like this one.

I've read about coryza, and saw that they will carry it for life. I have over 30 chickens that don't have any symptoms, could the affected ones be separated to where my main flock would be healthy? Sorry for so many questions, I've never had disease get my flock 😭

That definitely looks like Coryza to me. It is bacterial and the treatment is sulfa drugs.

I am not sure about the answer to that question, let me tag someone.

@dawg53 , do you mind confirming that this is coryza, just to be sure, and maybe you know the answer to the question at the bottom of the post just before this one?

View attachment 3626508here is the one I have up at the house. The other one's faces don't look abnormal, do you want pictures of them too? The other 3 down at the coop with their eyes sealed look just like this one.

I've read about coryza, and saw that they will carry it for life. I have over 30 chickens that don't have any symptoms, could the affected ones be separated to where my main flock would be healthy? Sorry for so many questions, I've never had disease get my flock 😭
Open the hens mouth and smell her breath. If there is a foul odor, it's Coryza. If there isnt a foul odor, it's Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.)

Treatment for Coryza is a sulfa drug in combination with an antibiotic such as Baytril or Tylan.
There are different treatments for MG; Baytril, Tylan, Tiamulin.

Birds infected with either of these diseases are carriers for life. Even if treated with antibiotics, stress can bring out symptoms again. Both diseases are highly contagious. MG can be carried on your person and easily spread to healthy chickens.
I recommend that you cull sick birds and bury them deep far away from your coops and practice strict biosecurity.

Ok, thanks! I am going to try treat them with antibiotics, as I have no reason to get more birds, although I did want to, I don't NEED to.

Update: most of the birds eyes have opened up, and the lethargic ones are now eating and drinking as normal! I just realized I have a shipment of chicks coming next week (I ordered them a few months ago), so should I vaccinate them? Where do I get it?

I posted this in another thread, as I couldn't find this one.

Update: most of the birds eyes have opened up, and the lethargic ones are now eating and drinking as normal! I just realized I have a shipment of chicks coming next week (I ordered them a few months ago), so should I vaccinate them? Where do I get it?

I posted this in another thread, as I couldn't find this one.
If you ordered the chicks from a hatchery, call the hatchery and ask them if they can vaccinate them for you. It will be an extra charge, but shouldnt cost much at all. Good luck.

Correct. Coryza and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum vaccines. If the hatchery cant do it, you'll have to vaccinate them yourself. You can find poultry vaccines online at Valleyvet or Jefferspet. I've never given vaccines. I cant help you there.

Back
Top Bottom