HELP! sick chicken

The carcass of a 3-month-old, male bantam chicken was submitted for laboratory evaluation. The bird is emaciated. The breast muscle is atrophied. The bird weighs 281 grams. The most striking lesion is swelling of the liver with small multifocal, raised and pale foci. No other significant gross findings are noted
GROSS DIAGNOSES: Hepatic disease
COMMENTS: I am not sure if the liver condition is bacterial infection or neoplasia (such as Marek’s disease). I have saved tissues for possible bacteria isolation (additional $3) and/or examine the tissues under the microscope (additional $18.90) to determine the possible cause of the liver disease and possibly any other problems.

Wait I'm confused. I thought your hen was sick? Why did you submit a male carcass? Was it a boy that you thought was a girl?

Last edited:
Final results came in. He had blackhead. What should I gave the rest of my flock to make sure they don't die?
Blackhead is caused by a protozoa. The cecal worm is host for the protozoa. First you must purchase metronidazole to kill the protozoa. Metronidazole 250mg can be purchased online as "Fishzole." Dosage is one 250mg tablet given orally to each chicken once a day for 5 days.
Next you have to kill the cecal worm which carries the protozoa. Purchase either valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. You can use one wormer or the other to dose all your chickens individually one at a time. Administer either wormer orally undiluted, 1/2cc to standard size chickens, 1/4cc orally to smaller chickens. Redose all your chickens again in 10 days. There's a 14 day withdrawal period after the last worming.

Back
Top Bottom