Help sick chicken

Thank you for the information. I discovered that she is broody and I have no rooster and do not want to raise babies. She doesn't lay any eggs and just sits there on the nest. Everyday at least once I take her from the nest and make her go out with the others. She sits on some limbs I have set up for them, and eats and drinks and then later when I come out she is back on the nest. I am hoping that she will break from this, but it is ok if she doesn't . Thank you again for all your help.

You might want to go ahead and "break" her of being broody, some hens will keep it up for months on end, she won't start laying again until she stops being broody and if they are not eating properly it is not good for their health. Here is a nice thread/article on breaking broodys https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/181289/how-to-break-a-broody-hen the cage method usually works well, some are pretty stubborn and will take a week or so, but most do give up. I like to hand small food/water bowls on the side of the cage since a lot of hens will try to sit in bowls. Some people also put a small fan under the cage to cool the bird off more.

Back
Top Bottom